You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

You don't have permission to use the application "CredentialStore"

I set up a child account on my MacBook however when I login into the account for the first time the error message comes up with options okay? Allow once allow always if I select okay? It comes up again if I select once it asks for an administrator username and password, but it won’t allow me to enter the details because as soon as I click into, the username field it flips back to the error message. I persevered however and found that if I was quick I could type one letter at a time I did this until I finally got my username and password entered and pressed okay. Thing happened for the next application that the computer wanted to use this time I did the same thing but I copied my username so that I could just , paste it in. I had to do this about 10 times for about three or four different applications and now finally the error messages have gone away.

Posted on Aug 12, 2024 2:35 AM

3 replies

Aug 12, 2024 8:34 PM in response to mcat422

Edit...

mcat422 Said:

"You don't have permission to use the application 'CredentialStore': this time I copied my username so that I could just paste it in if it happened again. It did happen again a few more times with this 'CredentialStore' and then for other applications such as 'vncviewer', and my copy paste strategy worked. The error messages are gone now, hope this helps if you get stuck with this situation as well."

-------

Excellent job troubleshooting!

Report this Fix to the Developer and Apple:

Inform both of this fix; how you came about it; and the steps to fix it. Include the URL of this thread.

A. Reporting to the Developer:

You'll find their Contact Us info in the app's site of the App Store. If from a third-party site, you'll find their Contact Us info link right on their homepage. The Developer will know nothing of this fix, if you don't report it to them.

B. Reporting to Apple:

Do your Part: Inform Apple of this fix. Apple barely reads these forums as it is on their own time. So, to get the word out to them, report it to them. Apple won't get back to you directly, but the more feedback they receive on this, the more they will know what is going on, and what needs to be fixed. Apple will know nothing of this fix, if you don't report it to them.

1. Go Here: Feedback - macOS - Apple
  2. Select: "Bug Report" for the "Feedback Type"
  3. Select: "Applications/Utilities" for the "Feedback Area"
  4. Comment: on when you came across this issue, and the fix. Include the URL of this thread.
  5. Proceed from there as necessary

Aug 12, 2024 2:57 AM in response to mcat422

mcat422 Said:

"You don't have permission to use the application 'CredentialStore' I set up a child account on my MacBook however when I login into the account for the first time the error message comes up with options okay? [...]I had to do this about 10 times for about three or four different applications and now finally the error messages have gone away.'

-------

Faulty Login Screen:

Seems you have a faulty download. So, if downloaded from the iTunes, then contact the developer. You'll find their Contact Us info in the app's site of the App Store.

Aug 12, 2024 8:11 PM in response to mcat422

Sorry, my message describing the issue above wasn’t too clear as it was done via the phone. Here is what I meant to explain…..

I’m just posting this because there is another thread with about 60 “me too” hits and the thread is locked so I can’t reply to explain how I managed to solve the issue.

The problem occurred when I set up a child account on my MacBook and when I logged into the account for the first time I got an error message:

‘You don't have permission to use the application "CredentialStore"’

With options to select:

“okay?”

“Allow once”

“Allow always”

If I selected “Okay?”, it looped around and the error came up again.

If I selected one of the “Allow” options it asked for an administrator username and password, but it wouldn’t allow me to enter the details because as soon as I click into, the username field, control flipped back to the error message.

I persevered however and found that if I was quick I could type one letter at a time onto the username and password fields. I did this until I finally got my username and password entered and pressed okay.

The same thing happened again, so I repeated the process but this time I copied my username so that I could just paste it in if it happened again. It did happen again a few more times with this “CredentialStore” and then for other applications such as “vncviewer”, and my copy paste strategy worked.

The error messages are gone now, hope this helps if you get stuck with this situation as well.

You don't have permission to use the application "CredentialStore"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.