You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Trying to get 4k @ 60Hz working on Mac Pro 2013 6,1 in Bootcamp

I have a 2013 Mac Pro, 64GB RAM, Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2667 v2 @ 3.30GHz, D700 FirePro GPUs. I am trying to figure out how to get my MP to display 60Hz at 4K on my TV, which is a 65" Samsung model TU7000. This entry level SmartTV has HDMI 2.0 and is capable of 60Hz. I am running Bootcamp and have Windows 10 Pro which is up to date.

I have an active Thunderbolt 2 to HDMI 2.0 adapter and a HDMI 2.1 cable going from the MP to the TV. I can choose 60Hz from a resolution at 2K (2560 x 1440) or lower. However, when I choose 4K (3840 x 2160), 30Hz is the highest I can go. The adapter is rated to go up to 4K @ 60Hz and the cable certainly is.

The AMD software I'm using for CrossFire and the D700 drivers is Radeon Adrenalin 2019 version 19.11.1. This comes from a site called bootcampdrivers and it seems to have the newest driver that the MP can accept.

So to summarize, I can get to 60Hz in Windows up to 2K, anything higher is capped at 30Hz. Not sure if it's the TV, the MP, the drivers, or something else I'm missing. Please help if you know of anything I should try.

Earlier Mac models

Posted on Aug 7, 2024 6:01 PM

12 replies

Aug 7, 2024 6:51 PM in response to DeathStalker13

tje built-in HDMI 1.4 port:

HDMI 1.4 defined standardized timings to use for 4096 × 2160 at 24 Hz, 3840 × 2160 at 24, 25, and 30 Hz, and added explicit support for 1920 × 1080 at 120 Hz 

Details:*This system originally supported up to three 4K displays (3840x2160), but on June 16, 2015, Apple quietly increased this official support to as many as three 5K displays (5120x2880) -- two using Thunderbolt 2 ports and one using the HDMI port -- or as many as six displays up to 2560x1600 using Thunderbolt 2 ports.

any adapters you use must explicitly support at least 4K @ 60, preferably MUCH higher, and

the CABLEs must be certifed ULTRA cables.

Aug 8, 2024 10:31 AM in response to Urquhart1244

YCbCr 4:4:4 not being able to show 4K 60Hz makes sense. This only showed up when using the HDMI out on the MP to the TV. I think the HDMI out is 1.4 and not 2.0. I didn't expect 4K 60Hz to work, but I was surprised at 2K 60Hz.

I did not notice anywhere in the Windows display setup to choose any version of RGB or YCbCr. It switched automatically.

There is a link under the display information for "Display adapter properties for Display 1". That first shows my AMD D700 which I can click "Properties" but it's just for the drivers which are up to date. There is a "list all modes" button on the bottom of the window that shows every screen resolution possible in a list. It goes [resolution size], True Color (32 bit), [refresh rate]. There's something like 80 different listings to choose from.

The monitor tab has "Generic PnP Monitor" and if I go into "Properties" it tells me that my drivers are already the best option for it.

The last tab is Color Management. There is an advanced option that opens a rather large menu window with sRGB profiles, but I don't think that has anything to do with refresh rate

Aug 8, 2024 10:56 AM in response to DeathStalker13

I switched the NVMe drive out of the Mac Pro, and put the Apple blade SSD back in that is running macOS Monterey 12.7.6

Plugged the Thunderbolt 2 adapter in and hooked up the HDMI. I was able to choose 60Hz.

According to both the display tab in “About this Mac” as well as the info from the Samsung TV itself, I am currently running 3840 x 2160 4K @ 60Hz

This is frustrating. I am only running Windows on this. I’m keeping the Apple drive in case I need it for firmware stuff.

is there something in the bootcamp drivers I should be looking for? I installed everything from the boot camp USB I made prior to installing windows

Aug 7, 2024 11:07 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

The adapter brand is "Plugable" which has been brought up many times as the adapter to get. It's listed as Thunderbolt 2 to HDMI 2.0.

The HDMI 2.1 cable is "Highwings" rated at 8k 60hz, 4k 120hz and 48Gbps. It is an ULTRA certified cable.

The Samsung TU7000 TV has HDMI 2.0 inputs

Does it make a different which Bus or port I use for the Thunderbolt adapter? I have no other devices plugged into the Thunderbolt ports. I have a wireless mouse plugged into the first USB port.

Aug 8, 2024 7:43 AM in response to DeathStalker13

<< Does it make a different which Bus or port I use for the Thunderbolt adapter? >>

that's what the diagram I posted above is for, so that you can get each display on its own Thunderbolt Bus.

an external drive connected to thunderbolt (there are not many) should not be on the same bus as your top speed display, but since display data has priority, this should only slow down the drive.

Aug 8, 2024 8:59 AM in response to den.thed

The current cable I have is 6ft, and from what I've read, should be ok with 4K @60Hz. This is the cable I purchased: https://a.co/d/3XYgeJL

The adapter that I have is this one: https://a.co/d/3ENEJXW

I have contacted Samsung about my specific TV to confirm that it is capable of 4K @ 60Hz. I've reached out to the company that makes the adapter regarding the 2k limit and am waiting on their response.

Samsung suggested I contact Microsoft too, but I don't think it's a Windows 10 issue, and I'm not sure how helpful they will be since I'm using it on a Mac.

I'm not able to make any purchases at this time to try a shorter cable. I hope this isn't the issue, because the Mac Pro is on the left side of the TV and the HDMI connections are on the right. I can't put the MP on the right side of the TV

Aug 8, 2024 9:50 AM in response to DeathStalker13

The plot thickens. I decided to test every single Thunderbolt port since it's unclear if one is better over the other. I tested 1920 x 1080, 2560 x 1440 (2K), and 3840 x 2160 (4K) resolutions

Here we go

HDMI using just the cable and no adapter:

1080 - Up to 60Hz, 12-bit depth, YCbCr444 color format. Also allowed interlaced at 50Hz, 59.940Hz and 60Hz

2K - Up to 60Hz (again, just the HDMI port on the MP), 8-bit depth, RGB color format for some reason

4K - Up to 30Hz, 8-bit depth, back to YCbCr444 color format

Each time I switched Thunderbolt ports, I disconnected the HDMI cable from the adapter and waited 10 seconds before plugging the adapter into the MP by itself, followed by connecting the HDMI cable. I only tested 1080 and 4K going forward

Thunderbolt Bus 1 Port 1

1080 - Up to 60Hz, 10-bit depth (down from HDMI only), RGB color format. Also allowed interlaced at 50Hz, 59.940Hz and 60Hz

4K - Up to 30Hz, 8-bit depth, RGB color format

Thunderbolt Bus 1 Port 3

1080 - Only options were 59.940Hz and 60Hz, 12-depth (back up for some reason), RGB color format

Thunderbolt Bus 2 Port 2

1080 - Up to 60Hz, 10-bit depth, RGB color format, Also allowed interlaced at 50Hz, 59.940Hz and 60Hz

Thunderbolt Bus 2 Port 4

1080 - Up to 60Hz, 10-bit depth, RGB color format, Also allowed interlaced at 50Hz, 59.940Hz and 60Hz

Thunderbolt Bus 0 Port 6

Thunderbolt Bus 0 Port 5

From what I see, it appears that Thunderbolt Bus 1 Port 3 is a bit different from the others. Not sure why 1080 was suddenly stuck at only 60Hz and why the bit depth changed from 10 to 12 on that port. This does tell me that the MP probably has a preferable port for the first and only monitor hookup.

I don't have a 120hz TV or monitor to test just the HDMI at 1080 at that rate. I am still waiting to hear back from the adapter manufacture.

Aug 8, 2024 11:06 AM in response to DeathStalker13

You are beating on technology that was released in 2013, when 'enormous' 2K resolution displays were expensive, but attainable.. The Apple Master Plan was that add-on Vendors would RUSH to create custom aftermarket add-in cards to be installed in this model. That NEVER occurred.

The fixed graphics has become more and more marginal by rapid advances in graphics cards and displays. As the pace of display technology picked up even more, and readily available displays 4K and above became more affordable. The Trade Press delighted in beating up on Apple with great regularity, calling this approach a major mis-step.

if you can get beat on it and get it to work for you, "Merry Christmas"!

(You get a present that was not expected.)

Aug 8, 2024 11:52 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

I understand the age of the devices I play around with. Regardless of what Apple's plan was, this Mac Pro is capable of what I'm trying to do, I just haven't found the right combination to unlock it in Windows.

I enjoy older technology for both the challenge, and to keep things out of trash heeps if they can be useful. When I ask a question on here, I don't just sit back and wait for an answer. I'm constantly trying other things and updating what I've found. This is to both potentially come to an answer from someone who sees it, and to make sure there's a detailed thread for anyone in the future that runs into the same thing.

The slow clap for me getting it to work in Monterey doesn't help, and the issue of getting it to work in Bootcamp still remains. I'm going to keep at it.

Trying to get 4k @ 60Hz working on Mac Pro 2013 6,1 in Bootcamp

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.