You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

User patches in GarageBand and exporting aif to convert to MIDI

I have a problem with GarageBand on MacOS.

I have 3 "User Patches" created in Garageband.

Each of these work and when I use them inside GarageBand they sound like they should.

(One is a "Boomwhacker" sound, one is a kick drum and the third is a snare drum)

I am trying to export the song to MIDI file, for use in Synthesia, using the following method:

1. Select the region I want to export.
  2. Click "Option" + "Shift" + O to "Add Region to Loop Library".
  3. This creates a .aif file in the loops folder on my Macbook.
  4. I use an online converter (aif2midi.com) to convert it to MIDI.

The conversion works, but 2 of my regions (with custom instruments does not work.

No matter what I try, they end up as instrument "Percussion" when I open them up in Synthesia.

The first region with the sound "Boomwhacker" works as I expect, i.e. when I open the MIDI file in Synthesia the instrument shows as "Acoustic Grand Piano" (which it should because my custom sound does not exist in the Synthesia sound library)

Any ideas to what might cause this?

Posted on Aug 4, 2024 8:24 AM

There are no replies.

User patches in GarageBand and exporting aif to convert to MIDI

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.