You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why Can't I Turn On The Advanced Data Protection?

I did what I needed to do in order to be able to turn it on, but for some reason, the issue still persists. Is this a problem related to the Apple's servers, or is it my device behaving strangely?

iPhone 13

Posted on Aug 3, 2024 3:50 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 7, 2024 12:57 PM

The update today on Sonoma, iPhone, and iPad is suppose to fix this. This is what the iPhone statement was before I updated. "This update includes important bug fixes and addresses an issue that prevents enabling or disabling Advanced Data Protection."

12 replies

Aug 7, 2024 12:29 PM in response to thisisnotbobdylan

Having this same issue. I've removed stale devices from my family account, all devices are running the latest OS, have been rebooted, controlled for network connectivity issues by trying different networks, have a recovery contact and key set, MFA, etc....and yet cannot enable ADP without receiving a generic error that something went wrong. Trying to enable it on my macbook gives a slightly more descript error saying that there was some "server error". I was put into contact with Apple Support over the phone after initiating a chat session and was basically told that "computers do that sometimes".

Why Can't I Turn On The Advanced Data Protection?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.