You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Crashes when Attempting to Empty Trash

My Mac Power Pro Mid 2010 with Mojave crashes and then reboots every time I try to empty the Trash. I have tried several of the suggestions with no success. What is the most sure-fire way to empty without crashing?

Thanks and kind regards.

Mac Pro

Posted on Jul 31, 2024 10:52 PM

4 replies

Jul 31, 2024 11:24 PM in response to crutcherjr

crutcherjr Said:

"Mac Crashes when Attempting to Empty Trash: My Mac Power Pro Mid 2010 with Mojave crashes and then reboots every time I try to empty the Trash. I have tried several of the suggestions with no success. What is the most sure-fire way to empty without crashing? Thanks and kind regards."

-------

Troubleshooting Crashing Mac:

A. Start with Safe Mode:

Boot in Safe Mode seeing if you no longer get this error. Wait 30 seconds, then restart, logging in normally: How to Use Safe Mode on your Mac - Apple Support

B. Single-Out this User:

Create another Administrator user (if accessible), logging into it, seeing if you get this error. If not, then is its a misconfiguration on your current user. If so, then it is an issue with your macOS, and you must reinstall the macOS. This is for troubleshooting. So, trash this user when no longer needed.  Go Here: Set Up Users, Guests, and Groups on Mac - Apple Support

C. Remove Login Items:

What happens when you view login items? If items exist, then remove all.  Go Here: Open Items Automatically when you Log In on Mac - Apple Support

D. Reinstall the macOS:

Go Here: How to Reinstall macOS from macOS Recovery - Apple SupportImportant: Be certain to create a backup of your Mac prior to all of this. That way, you can have something to restore from the Mac from, should anything go wrong with the reinstall. Once reinstalled, try this once more, seeing if it has gone away.

Aug 17, 2024 6:42 AM in response to crutcherjr

if these files are on the Boot drive, a restart into safe mode does a disk repair as it starts up.

if these files are on an external drive, you should do this manually by launching Disk Utility, selecting the drive, and run RepairDisk/FirstAid (whichever is offered, they are the same). Tthis checks the drive directory for consistency.

For macOS after High Sierra, you also need to use the tiny View menu in Disk Utility to select 'Show all devices' and repair first the physical device, then the Container disk, then the Volume.

Mac Crashes when Attempting to Empty Trash

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.