You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

One mp4 (H264) file doesn't play in Quicktime

I have this particular video file which gives following error when I try to open it in Quicktime (macOS 12.4):

The document “in.mp4” could not be opened. An unknown error occurred (1718449215)

It plays fine in VLC. The problem is with this particular file only.

Does anyone know what is special about this file? I have no way of contacting its author.

Included below is the file info retrieved using ffmpeg, ffprobe and VLC.

Thanks!

Posted on Jul 30, 2024 3:32 PM

3 replies

Jul 31, 2024 3:10 AM in response to dy-namit-e

Does it work if you just losslessly rewrap it:

ffmpeg -i input.mp4 -c copy output.mp4

Maybe the HE-AAC codec is incompatible with Monterey?

Ventura and Sonoma play my HE-AAC samples encoded with libfdk_aac OK (if encoded with the default ffmpeg aac, then the audio is mute and ffmpeg can not decode the HE-AAC it encoded).

Does it work if you re-encode HE-AAC to AAC:

ffmpeg -i input.mp4 -c:v copy -c:a aac_at -b:a 128k output.mp4

Aug 1, 2024 12:15 AM in response to dy-namit-e

Glad you got it fixed.

Obviously Monterey QT Player does not support HE-AAC movies like Ventura and Sonoma (Sonoma added also Opus audio support).

The default ffmpeg aac encoder does not properly support encoding HE-AAC but aac_at and libfdk_aac do (AFAIK Apple's aac_at is the best quality aac encoder):

HE-AAC version 1:

ffmpeg -i input.mp4 -c:v copy -c:a aac_at -profile:a 4 -b:a 64k aac_at_he.mp4

HE-AAC version 2:

ffmpeg -i input.mp4 -c:v copy -c:a aac_at -profile:a 28 -b:a 32k aac_at_he_v2.mp4

One mp4 (H264) file doesn't play in Quicktime

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.