You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacPro 4,1 starting with grey screen after SMC and PRAM resets

My Mac Pro (Early 2009) running El Capitan starts up with a grey screen, I have to do an SMC and a PRAM reset each time. Trying to wake it from sleep mode doesn't work when a password is required to wake it up, only after deactivating this feature waking from sleep is possible. With password required, either the password field remains inactive, or after typing in the password, it keeps spinning.

The only other flaw I noticed is that trying to generate a system report (from About this mac) causes beachballing with every else inactive and inaccessible.

EtreCheck renders nothing.

Any idea?

Thanks!

Posted on Jul 27, 2024 12:52 PM

52 replies

Jul 27, 2024 3:28 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

these items have no place on your high-quality Macintosh computer:

User Login Items:

[Not Loaded] AppCleaner SmartDelete (Julien Ramseier - installed 2019-02-25)

Modern Login Item

/Applications/AppCleaner.app/Contents/Library/LoginItems/AppCleaner SmartDelete.app

Launch Agents:

[Not Loaded] com.avast.hub.plist (? 0 - installed )

Effective defenses against malware and ot… - Apple Community

Jul 29, 2024 7:10 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

How to download and install macOS - Apple Support

up through Sierra can be downloaded and unpacked on a Mac, and the installer is placed in the /Applications folder that can be used to make a USB-stick installer

for High Sierra, you need to use the link in the article and download through the Mac App Store, but the computer doing the download must be capable for running that version of macOS.

Create a bootable installer for macOS - Apple Support

if you name your USB-stick exactly MyVolume, those goofy long scripts can be copied from the article and Pasted directly to the Terminal command-line.

Jul 30, 2024 12:26 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Thanks once more Grant. I'm trying to do that, but Create a bootable installer for macOS - Apple Support instructs me to make sure it is an installer app, not a .dmg or pkg. The only indication on how to get that app that I find is https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/254223/how-to-convert-a-macos-installer-pkg-into-an-app-to-run-it, but that didn't work on any Mac I could get my hand on: pkgutil --expand InstallMacOSX.pkg installmacosxpkg returns Could not open package for expansion: InstallMacOSX.pkg. I know this isn't really the topic here and I'm happy to start another thread, but maybe there's an obvious answer to this?

Aug 1, 2024 8:43 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

To do a restore on to a drive, best practice is to have MacOS installed and stable on that drive already, then use Migration Assistant to bring your files over from time machine backup driveMove content to a new Mac - Apple support

Transfer to a new Mac with Migration Assistant - Apple Support

Migration Assistant 'takes over' everything, and takes a surprisingly long elapsed time. First it may need to compute a Spotlight index of the data. Once data transfer begins, it takes a bit longer than a FULL backup, likely all afternoon to overnight. You may want to set this up late in the day and let it run overnight, and be ready for it not to be done by morning. 

"the best way" is to use your Time machine backup from the old Mac as the source for Migration Assistant running on the new Mac. Connecting that drive using USB-2 is as fast as almost every Rotating Magnetic drive, and will not produce a noticeable slowdown doing this transfer.

Aug 7, 2024 8:25 AM in response to Nikolai Franke

Once you have MacOS up and running reasonably, the method you use to get different versions changes dramatically. You use the running MacOS 10.11 El captain to download 10.12 Sierra.

To move to 10.13 High Sierra, you switch to Mac App Store download, But only by using the links in that same article:

How to download and install macOS - Apple Support

Jul 27, 2024 3:23 PM in response to Nikolai Franke

your boot drive is Full. You may be moments away from a very spectacular crash.

you have only 26.23 GB free, and the swap file is on that drive, so just open a few more web pages and kaboom! For reference, MacOS consumes over 9GB of drive space going from a cold start to fully operational.

in addition, you have not enabled TRIM, so that drive has slowed to the speed of a rotating magnetic drive:

Performance:

System Load: 3.86 (1 min ago) 4.73 (5 min ago) 2.75 (15 min ago)

Nominal I/O speed: 0.03 MB/s

File system: 15.16 seconds

Write speed: 233 MB/s

Read speed: 269 MB/s

use Terminal command:

sudo trimforce enable

and enter your password (which will not be echoed) and follow the directions, culminating with an automatic restart to engage.

https://www.lifewire.com/enable-trim-for-ssd-in-os-x-yosemite-2260789

Jul 28, 2024 7:05 AM in response to Nikolai Franke

that sounds good for the display itself.

what about the graphics card?

I have had an interface (especially the higher-power DVI or its cousin HDMI) blow out, and got no display after that. I had to switch to a Mini DisplayPort adapter (to single-link DVI) to get a 1920 by 1080 picture, showing the card was good, but the interface was bad.

Do you have the diagnostic, originally on the original release disc-2?

Do you have another external or internal drive, on which you could install a macOS and boot from? or the ordinal Installer DVD, just to see if you get a picture and show more stuff is working?

Jul 28, 2024 7:30 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

On the display: Since yesterday the grey screen appeared and persisted just as it does now, but was remedied by resetting SMC and NVRAM, whereafter I could log in and use the mac, and now that remedy seized to work, it does appear to me as though the problem lies with the system, not with the display. I could try finding another display to be sure.

I bought the mac refurbished many, many years ago and it came without the original disks, unfortunately.

I have two bootable external drives but neither do I get a choice to boot them (holding down the option key during startup), nor does the system (or the ROM) choose one on its own. The screen remains grey indefinitely.

MacPro 4,1 starting with grey screen after SMC and PRAM resets

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.