You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to repair or fix broken (unreadable) MP4 video files, free?

I recently filmed an important event, but when I tried to play the video, it wouldn't open. I think the file might be corrupted. Does anyone know how to repair a video file (MP4)? I really need to recover this footage. Any reliable Free methods or tools online you can recommend would be appreciated. 

Mac Pro, macOS 10.13

Posted on Jul 11, 2024 8:26 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 11, 2024 8:55 AM

Yo, gotta try all these methods, no other way around it.

Clever Online Video Repair - Really free, but sometimes glitchy. Give it a shot: repair.cleverfiles.com.

Fix.Video and Restore.Media - Top online services, but not free. Fix.video, restore.media

Untrunc - Free but tricky to use, works for a bunch of file types: Untrunc on GitHub.

Videolan - Free, might have VLC already. Go Media -> Convert -> Select your file. Doesn’t always work, but worth a try: videolan.org.

Manual repair - None of that worked? Find a local pro who knows their way around a HEX editor to fix the file. If they don’t get what a moov box is, find someone else 😁.

6 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 11, 2024 8:55 AM in response to Mac_Tech_Guy

Yo, gotta try all these methods, no other way around it.

Clever Online Video Repair - Really free, but sometimes glitchy. Give it a shot: repair.cleverfiles.com.

Fix.Video and Restore.Media - Top online services, but not free. Fix.video, restore.media

Untrunc - Free but tricky to use, works for a bunch of file types: Untrunc on GitHub.

Videolan - Free, might have VLC already. Go Media -> Convert -> Select your file. Doesn’t always work, but worth a try: videolan.org.

Manual repair - None of that worked? Find a local pro who knows their way around a HEX editor to fix the file. If they don’t get what a moov box is, find someone else 😁.

How to repair or fix broken (unreadable) MP4 video files, free?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.