You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Calibrated colors shifting to default in QT while paused

Hi,

I have my mac (Catalina) calibrated colors shifting in QT to default when the video is paused then coming back after the OSD disappears.

I know that this problem was reported in 2008 (!) (Color changes when moving mouse pointer - Apple Community) then fixed in 2010 (!!) but in 2024 it still is present (!!!).

I wanna ask if anyone knows how to solve this 2008 b.c. mac problem in 2024 on a Mac Mini 2012, macos Catalina.

Some say that Windows will never be a macos while macos is trying really hard to be a Windows.

Posted on Jul 10, 2024 7:07 AM

3 replies

Jul 10, 2024 10:00 AM in response to arinxyz

Catalina … but in 2024 it still is present (!!!).

macOS Catalina has seen its last update in 2020 (10.15.7), so the 2024 situation wouldn’t be any different from 4 years ago, as QuickTime Player is bundled with the macOS version. Apple developers have closed the book on Catalina.

Does this happen for every video file, or for this one particular video file? For the latter situation, it is most likely that the issue with the structure of this particular file; not the software.

For just playback, try different player software, like VLC or IINA. That would probably be easiest.

For situations where QuickTime Player is important/​essential, start by checking the structure of the file. Analyzing tools based MediaInfo can help with that, e.g. Invisor Lite. Things like codecs would be important here.

Also consider these troubleshooting steps, in case your Mac’s software, possibly including QuickTime Player itself, needs ‘repairing’.

Let us know the results of these tests, so we can suggest next steps based on results.

Jul 11, 2024 10:13 PM in response to arinxyz

3. The color calibration ain't a problem restricted to QT. On sleep/wake sometimes it gets a total mess sometimes even restarting or needing to restart.

Possibly the graphics card/chip is nearing its end-of-life. Possibly some other motherboard component is nearing its end-of-life. Possibly dust accumulated inside the Mac, and it may need some internal dusting using compressed air. It seems like it could be a hardware fault.

Use Apple Diagnostics to test your Mac - Apple Support

… not being able to solve a problem from 2010 to 2012 and then not being able to solve it 8 years later.

I don’t recall this issue when I used Catalina. You haven’t demonstrated your issue to be applicable beyond this one computer. Other users on Catalina may not have this issue at all. Possibly there is nothing to fix in software, as your issue may not be caused by software.

Jul 11, 2024 1:47 PM in response to Urquhart1244

A 2010 (or even before) problem that still exists in the year of 2024 means that in the past 14 years Apple wasn't able to solve the problem, giving up in 2020 (which I didn't know, this device was bought second-hand to be use to play videos in my business).

Point is, it's a shame for a company selling more and more expensive products with shorter and shorter life span not being able to solve a problem from 2010 to 2012 and then not being able to solve it 8 years later. So the 2024 situation SHOULD BE different from 4 years ago unless we like to praise incompetency and this is QT, not a 3rd party app.

But:

1. It happens to all video files.
  2. Using another player as solution ain't a solution for the QT problem.
  3. The color calibration ain't a problem restricted to QT. On sleep/wake sometimes it gets a total mess sometimes even restarting or needing to restart.

The generic solutions as "check if your equipment is connected to power" are always useless, but tks for the time.

Oh by the way, some Apple apps still get updates on Catalina bc Catalina is an OS and apps, well, they are apps! Who would tell, huh?

Calibrated colors shifting to default in QT while paused

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.