You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Will iPadOS 18 work on iPad 6th Generation?

My iPad 6th gen can support ios 17 but I’m not sure if it can support ios 18. I don’t really want to buy a new iPad because it works perfectly fine and it’s in good condition. However, if Apple doesn’t support ios 18 for 6th gen, is it still usable if I don’t update IOS?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPad (6th generation)

Posted on Jul 9, 2024 1:17 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 1, 2024 7:45 PM

No the iPad 6th gen with not be support IOS 18 only iPad 7th gen or later will be supported

23 replies

Sep 26, 2024 3:29 PM in response to Ralph6410

Ralph6410 wrote:

Which kinda conflicts with other information:
Which devices can get it? All Apple smartphones from 2018's iPhone XS or newer can install iOS 18. All tablets from the 2018 iPad Pro, 2019 iPad Air (3rd gen), iPad mini (5th gen) or iPad (6th gen) and newer can install iPadOS 18. All Apple Watches from 2020's Series 6 or newer can install watchOS 11.

I would go by Apple's official compatibility statements. For iPads:

--------------------

iPadOS 18 is compatible with these devices:

• iPad Pro (M4)
  • iPad Pro 12.9-inch (3rd generation and later)
  • iPad Pro 11-inch (1st generation and later)
  • iPad Air (M2)
  • iPad Air (3rd generation and later)
  • iPad (7th generation and later)
  • iPad mini (5th generation and later)

--------------------

iPadOS 18 upgrades are temporarily "on hold" for the iPad Pro (M4), due to an issue that caused some of those iPads to become inoperable following the upgrade.

Sep 26, 2024 5:00 PM in response to Ralph6410

You can compare iPad models here:

iPad - Compare Models - Apple

Whichever iPad model you choose, you would be well advised to purchase as much internal storage as your budget might reasonably allow - as internal storage (and other hardware) cannot be changed, upgraded or extended. The available internal storage is fixed for the entire life of the device. If you run out of internal storage for your documents, photos and other data, you will forever struggle and become a source of frustration. It is far better to have more storage than you need, than to need more storage than you have.

A good rule of thumb is to quantify how much data storage you will need - add a healthy margin - then double it. If you are unable to quantify your data storage needs, it becomes more difficult. Whilst I and others cannot cannot make definitive recommendations for your personal needs, objectively I would council against purchase of any iPad with any less than 256GB storage.

Within the Apple Support Communities we see regular tales of woe and disappointment when storage requirements are exceeded, necessitating replacement of the device; by contrast, we never see complaint of having too much available storage. It is relatively easy to fill limited internal storage space; perhaps consider higher tiers of storage as providing room for growth as your needs develop or mature - potentially extending the useful usable life of the device. 

Consider also the functional differences between WiFi Only and WiFi+Cellular models of iPad. Only WiFi+Cellular models include GPS capabilities - which may impact any Apps or features that require accurate and consistent location data, such as Mapping - which may be important for travel. Purchase of a WiFi+Cellular model does not commit you to using Cellular connections, but provides this flexibility should it be needed.  WiFi Only models of iPad have no Cellular or GPS functions at all.

Sep 17, 2024 12:45 PM in response to suz179

suz179 wrote:

Ok I’ve finally updated 17.7 in my gen 6 iPad… Will it die as my iPad 1 did when I can not update past 17.7… ios18 is out now??

• Yes, iPadOS 18 is out now.
  • No, your iPad (6th generation) cannot update to iPadOS 18.
  • No, your iPad will not die overnight.
  • Yes, as the years go on, there may come a time when you will want an iPad that can run something higher than iPadOS 17.

Sep 26, 2024 2:56 PM in response to Ralph6410

Ralph6410 wrote:

Which devices can get it? All Apple smartphones from 2018's iPhone XS or newer can install iOS 18. All tablets from the 2018 iPad Pro, 2019 iPad Air (3rd gen), iPad mini (5th gen) or iPad (6th gen) and newer can install iPadOS 18. All Apple Watches from 2020's Series 6 or newer can install watchOS 11.

These models of iPad support iPadOS 18 (17.7 optional):

• iPad Pro 13" (M4)*
  • iPad Pro 12.9" (3rd generation and later)
  • iPad Pro 11" (1st generation and later + M4*)
  • iPad Air (3rd generation and later + M2)
  • iPad (7th generation and later)
  • iPad mini (5th generation and later)

(*) Rollout of the iPadOS 18 update for iPad Pro M4 has been temporarily suspended by Apple.

Oct 6, 2024 12:51 PM in response to cx500d

cx500d wrote:

Why? iPad 6 gen has the same processor as IPad 7 gen.

While the iPad6 and iPad7 have near identical technical specifications, the reasons why Apple has chosen to differentiate between the two models - and limit the iPad6 to iPadOS 16.x - is known only to Apple.

Contributors here are all end-users, just like you. Other than information published by Apple, nobody here has any insight into Apple’s product design or update support decisions.

Oct 9, 2024 11:10 PM in response to xiaoqing2873

This is pretty bs Apple if the iPad 6th gen is still supported and almost has the same specs as the 7th gen it no being supported is bad because it’ll become much much more useless as devs are starting to use iPadOS 18 and won’t give any updates or apps to this version of iPadOS 17 so it would be nice if they release by the end of this year

Sep 26, 2024 2:13 PM in response to xiaoqing2873

Will iPadOS 18 work on iPad 6th Generation?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.