You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple DEP testing in macOS VM on Apple

Testing zero-touch enrollment and configuration as a part of DEP (Device Enrollment Program) with a physical machine is more time-consuming than with a virtual machine (seconds vs minutes). It also occupies one physical machine completely.

On Intel Mac, there was an ability to spoof a serial number in a virtual machine to do such testing.

On the Apple Silicon-powered Mac, the Virtualization framework doesn't provide this capability.

We understand that spoofing a random serial number is not secure, but we are looking for options like the same as a host number or a derivative.

This discussion is also to gauge Mac Admins' interest in this. Please upvote if you are interested in using this.

Feedback to note if you are in the Apple Developer program: FB9948348

Posted on Jul 4, 2024 11:48 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 5, 2024 8:30 AM

In the past, I have used a broken or decommissioned macOS device for this (preferably a broken one that won't be fixed). I would harvest that serial number, note that we were using it for VM testing and then roll that way. I know Amazon has EC2 macOS VMs that can auto enroll in MDM, but I'm not sure what wizardry they are using to do it.

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 5, 2024 8:30 AM in response to alevlasu

In the past, I have used a broken or decommissioned macOS device for this (preferably a broken one that won't be fixed). I would harvest that serial number, note that we were using it for VM testing and then roll that way. I know Amazon has EC2 macOS VMs that can auto enroll in MDM, but I'm not sure what wizardry they are using to do it.

Apple DEP testing in macOS VM on Apple

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.