You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro 2021. - stuck at DFU revive or restore, help please! AMRestoreErrorDomain error 9

Hi just wanted help with my laptop, was justing using it as regularly do, then when I close it and open it, the support/restore prompt came out. did some research and was able to do the DFU mode using another Mac. but when it comes. to install the OS it get stuck and reset.

seems its about to install, but doesn't push to really install the new OS, for some reason is disconnects then wont continue anymore then errors comes out.

I tried both to revive and restore, and both at same part get stuck. I used a macair and macmini to try to revive/restore, but same problem. I used 3 different apple cable that came with the laptops. but still doesn't help.

hope someone. can help. me

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 12.5

Posted on Jun 28, 2024 7:54 AM

5 replies

Jul 4, 2024 8:58 PM in response to labanog

How far did the Revive/Restore process get? At what step did this error message appear? IIRC, there are four steps with the first one being very quick and the second one usually taking a while (at least the first time) for the download stage. I know one of the other stages is installing, but I forget the other one.

labanog wrote:

is it possible to boot or reinstall a new OS via a bootleble apple OS installer, i read it somewhere, but not sure if can be done w apple silicon m1 laptops?

Possibly depending on the issue with the laptop and whether the incomplete Revive/Restore aborted before making any changes to the "broken" laptop, it may be possible assuming you have a compatible Mac to create the bootable macOS USB installer using the instructions in this Apple article:

Create a bootable installer for macOS - Apple Support

Jun 28, 2024 8:26 PM in response to labanog

Did you connect the USB USB-C cable to the back left port of the laptop which is in DFU Mode? That is the only USB-C port which can be used for the DFU firmware Revive/Restore process.

Make sure to disconnect all other external devices from the laptop and the host Mac in case one of those devices is causing a problem.

Make sure the power adapter is connected to the laptop which is in DFU Mode.

Is the host Mac running any anti-virus software, cleaning/optimizer apps, or third party security software? If so, then they may be causing the problem. Uninstall those apps by following the developers' instructions and try again after rebooting the host Mac.

If you had the laptop connected properly with the proper port & cable, then this most likely indicates a hardware issue with the laptop which will need to be repaired by Apple or an Apple Authorized Service Provider. They will also try to perform a DFU firmware Restore as well.

Jul 2, 2024 8:45 PM in response to HWTech

Hi thanks for the reply

yes i plug the USB C side at the left most port, beside the magsafe power port

yes, i dont have any other devices connected to it the host and DFU laptop

yeah, tried it both w power plug on and with out, same result, DFU laptop is also fully charged

host computer has no 3rd party app or anti virus

yeah thats what the apple people say, buy that would be an expensive route, since my laptop is 2022 purchase only

is it possible to boot or reinstall a new OS via a bootleble apple OS installer, i read it somewhere, but not sure if can be done w apple silicon m1 laptops?

MacBook Pro 2021. - stuck at DFU revive or restore, help please! AMRestoreErrorDomain error 9

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.