You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why are some sounds playing up a half step?

I’m using the latest mainstage. Some sounds are playing up a half step while the rest are playing normal. I don’t recall changing any sort of global settings. The plug-ins that are playing up half step are from different 3rd party manufacturers. There is nothing in the patch or mainstage that seems to be set up a half step. Some sounds within a single patch are playing up a half step while other layers in the same patch play normal. Anyone else experience something similar?

Posted on Jun 25, 2024 1:47 PM

13 replies

Jun 26, 2024 3:50 AM in response to tfromtroon

Yes happens in multiple concerts. I am able to fix the issue when I disconnect my keyboard (novation inpulse 61) and restart mainstage. When I use mainstage with it’s own built in software keyboard there is no problem at first however as soon as I connect the novation it doesnt matter wether I play from the hardware keyboard or internal software keyboard, some sounds are playing up a half step. Never experienced such a thing. I have to assume the novation is sending some kind of transpose message but why is it only affecting some sounds and not others? I did turn off aftertouch and restarted everything. That didn’t help.

Jun 26, 2024 7:24 AM in response to Diegel

When you say "midi monitor" do you mean the display in MainStage or a separate app? I use MIDI Monitor freely downloadable from snoize. I suggest running that without MainStage running and with the keyboard connected; that will determine if the keyboard is sending pitch-bend. If it is, you could disassemble to keyboard to see if anything has gone wrong in the hardware (hopefully) or you could use MIDIpipe (google for it, it is also free) and block the pitch-bend; clearly this option means you cannot pitch-bend at all. Some instruments bend and some do not which might explain why what you are experiencing is not consistent across all instruments. Can you reload the firmware in your controller in case it has got corrupted?

Why are some sounds playing up a half step?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.