You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

QuickTime Player crashes my MacBook Pro M1 2020

Sometime when I open the video on my macboook pro M1 the quick time crush my computer. I went 5 times to Genius BAR, I made 500km together. I left them my computers twice. Many times contact by Chat support. No one could fixed. And finally the last time I went, the guy look for the problem in this community, earlier they didn't , to learn that they can not do anything, it compete is fine, everything works only quick time doesn't. The first time in my life I have this problem with Apple.They just give me the advice to use VLC, and wait till apple will solve this problem. But why for this I had to go so many times to them during last 5 months, lost hours of work, petrol, hours passed on chat and explain all the time from the begging what it is the problem. does any one has the same problem with Mac service?

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jun 17, 2024 6:39 AM

8 replies

Jun 17, 2024 8:47 AM in response to Paulinagan

Is this on macOS Sonoma 14.5?

Is it a ‘real’ crash? (Some people use the word “crash” loosely.) What happens after said crash? Do you get an error message? What do you see when it happens?

Does QuickTime Player crash, or does the whole computer crash? Does it freeze? Do you get a kernel panic?

Is there a pattern to what makes it crash? Do some files play ok? Do other files always cause a crash?

Have you tried these diagnostic steps? For general macOS troubleshooting, do these:

Let us know the results of these tests, to help determine effective next steps.

Jun 17, 2024 11:17 AM in response to Paulinagan

Try this:

QuickTime Player > Services Settings... > Restore Defaults.

Settings > Desktop and Dock > Click wallpaper to reveal desktop: "Only in stage manager"

Settings > Desktop and Dock > Stage Manager: OFF

Quit Quicktime Player, and try if moving these folders to the Desktop folder (just in case before deleting them) helps:

~/Library/Containers/QuickTime Player

~/Library/Containers/com.apple.QuickTimePlayerX/Data

If not, try to make a dummy user and see if Quicktime Player works in that account.

If all else fails, IINA is a good simple player for the codecs and wrappers that QuickTime Player does not support (H.265 with Codec ID hev1, Chroma subsampling 4:2:2 (Bit depth 10 bits) in Mojave, VP8, VP9, Opus audio (now works in Sonoma), Vorbis audio, .avi, .mkv, .webm).

https://iina.io

Remove all 3rd party virus apps (Avast, AVG, Bitdefender, Intego, MacAfee, Norton, ESET NOD32, Trusteer etc) and 3rd party "cleaning", "optimizing", "speed-up" apps (CleanMyMac, MacKeeper etc). They produce only obscure errors and money loss.

An EtreCheck report might also have some clue to the issue:

Using EtreCheck to Troubleshoot Potential… - Apple Community

How to use the Add Text Feature When Post… - Apple Community

Jun 17, 2024 10:54 AM in response to Paulinagan

Everything got stuck. Keyboard and trackpad not working. I have to press the button off. Or sometimes it turns of itself. I put video on YouTube https://youtu.be/PJNuFBMWRJk?feature=shared

Very frustrating! I get that.

>> Is there a pattern to what makes it crash? Do some files play ok? Do some files always cause a crash?

i did safe mode with the support online.

Ok. What about the other test? (Different (new) Mac user account)

Genius Bar made a test . Everything ok

So the hardware test couldn’t find anything wrong. It can still be a software issue.

You may need to do a clean install of macOS. Be sure to back up all your data first. Preferably two copies.

Jun 18, 2024 7:25 AM in response to Paulinagan

they told me that it is common problem

I don’t have any statistics, but loads of Apple Silicon users have no issue with QuickTime Player crashing. Else this forum would have been flooded with similar posts.

I did it twice.

Please be specific. What was done twice?

the Genius Bar cleaned up twice.

I’m sure they did whatever their undisclosed checklist says to do. Did they remove all the auxiliary support files for apps in the user space? Like Matti suggested. By carrying over your old data, it may re-introduce the problem.

I’m convinced it should able to get to a fully functional state.

You keep skipping this question: “Is there a pattern to what makes it crash? Do some files play ok? Do some files always cause a crash?”

Jun 18, 2024 8:59 AM in response to Urquhart1244

I went to Genius Bar. they cleaned Mac completely and reinstall the system. new system. than I migrated everything form Time Machine . the problem repeated . I came back they cleaned and tested everything. they asked me to copy only my data /folders, without programmes and applications. I did . problem again. I contacted with Chat ,online support again.

MP4 /mov files blocked the same way, no matters how heavy they are.

At Genius Bar they told me that the problem can come from my application or Time Machine, but I didn't migrate application for the second time. the last time I went. and I came back with my computers. they told me that quick time has problem with M1

Jun 23, 2024 8:48 AM in response to Paulinagan

I have the same problem. 14 inch M1 Pro Max, Sonoma 14.5, connected to external Apple Studio Display.

Video files I recorded to day with my digital camera (.MOV) cause the system to hang. After 10-15 seconds the machine "reboots" and pops back to a new login ("password needed to enable touch ID"), and apps re-open when logging in. Fairly repeatable every time I try to play the video.

When I disconnect the external monitor and try, the video still freezes but the machine did not reboot and I was able to kill quicktime.

QuickTime Player crashes my MacBook Pro M1 2020

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.