You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

All of my old ipod touch Garageband files are no longer able to be opened?

This one is a real bummer if its not fixable. I found my old iPod touch 7th generation with all my old Garageband files still on it. Excited to revisit these early parts of my music journey I tried opening them, but it seems these files just not able to be opened and nor able to do much of anything at all.

I will attach a screenshot to show what I am referring to, but when tapping these green arrows they turn grey and nothing happens. I have tried uninstalling/reinstalling the app and I have tried sharing to my newer iPad (via Airdrop) thinking maybe just the device itself, since its old, isn't able to run these anymore. I actually can't even delete the files. When I tap select in the top right corner the icons jitter as if something could be done but, again, tapping of any kind appears to be unresponsive. The only interaction I can seem to get is tapping the green arrows to turn grey.

I fear that this may be the end for these files, which really stinks because they are time capsules of a time gone by that I would really enjoy revisiting. Any ideas on how to transfer the files off the device? Clearly there's something there because they take up a fair amount of data and their icons suggest the instruments are all as they were when I left them so many years ago, but maybe that's just wishful thinking.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated!

Details:

Garageband version: 2.1.1

iPod Version: 7th gen, 9.3.5

iPod, iOS 9

Posted on Jun 8, 2024 12:45 AM

There are no replies.

All of my old ipod touch Garageband files are no longer able to be opened?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.