You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

iCloud sync and update very, very slow

Any file operations on iCloud controlled directories take many seconds to minutes to complete, e.g., moving, deleting, even changing directories in Finder. I tried to remove Desktop & Documents from my iCloud sync and make a backup, but the message says to let iCloud finish updating first. That was several days ago and I'm only 25% done. I have a very good internet connection (350+ mb/sec), a half empty hard drive, and more than 1TB on iCloud.

This has been happening since I updated to Sonoma 14.4.1. Nothing else has changed in my setup, no new devices, new directories, nothing.

What's going on?

Thank you,

A very frustrated Apple customer.

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.12

Posted on Apr 12, 2024 10:44 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 10, 2024 2:54 PM

uploading and downloading of files to iCloud is ridiculously slow. I have fiber at home with a constant synchronous rate of 1Gb/s. There has to be a problem on the datacenter side. What gives?

Similar questions

17 replies

May 23, 2024 9:07 PM in response to Bo.Lasater

I'm having the same issues. I have tons of room on iCloud, my internet connection is amazing and works great for everything else, yet trying to sync my iPhone to my PC is taking forever since the last iPhone update. I've never waited so long for 60 images to sync! Going on an hour now when it used to take just a few minutes. I made sure I wasn't using cellular data as that can sometimes be slow. This is ridiculous.

Aug 24, 2024 5:45 AM in response to muguy

OH MY GOD, thank you. I thought this was silly, because I kept trying it to no effect: dragging it out of iCloud, back to my local documents, or wherever, then back again somewhere else in iCloud...no better. Finally I just dragged it directly into the iCloud root directory and not inside any other folder in iCloud and it starts syncing super fast (i.e. normally) right away.

So maybe anyone else reading this, try placing it in the iCloud root directory first, and THEN change it to the desired folder inside iCloud afteward.

iCloud sync and update very, very slow

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.