You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Need older version of iMovie

I inherited an older iMac from my mom. I updated the operating system as far as I could go...which was macOS Monterey version 12.7.1. When I did that, my iMovie app got greyed out with a white slash through it. If I try to launch it i get the error message: "In order to use “iMovie.app”, you need to update to the latest version. The version of iMovie installed on this Mac is not compatible with macOS Monterey. Download the latest version from the App Store." The App store will not let me download the most recent version of iMovie because my OS is too old. I tried the suggestion about moving my icon to the trash (but not emptying it) etc. and that did not work. Do I have any other options? Why wouldn't Apple have a site I could go to download an older version of iMovie? Is there a "reputable" site where I could download this? In addition, I suspect the same thing is happening with my Garage Band app. Halp!

Earlier displays & monitors

Posted on Dec 14, 2023 7:41 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 3, 2024 8:54 AM

I'm having the same issue:

When I try to open iMovie this is what happens:

In order to use "iMovie", you need to update to the latest version.

The version of iMovie installed on this Mac is not compatible with macOS Monterery. You have "iMovie" 10.1.14. Download version 10.4 for free from App Store.

When you search App Store it says you need macOS 13.5 or later.

Then it says the OS is updated.

A vicious cycle with getting no closer to my iMovie app which I use all the time.

Similar questions

17 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Apr 3, 2024 8:54 AM in response to meathead12

I'm having the same issue:

When I try to open iMovie this is what happens:

In order to use "iMovie", you need to update to the latest version.

The version of iMovie installed on this Mac is not compatible with macOS Monterery. You have "iMovie" 10.1.14. Download version 10.4 for free from App Store.

When you search App Store it says you need macOS 13.5 or later.

Then it says the OS is updated.

A vicious cycle with getting no closer to my iMovie app which I use all the time.

Dec 30, 2023 6:34 AM in response to meathead12

Hey. Sorry for the delay. Holidays...

I am using my mom's user account and apple id.

When I try your first suggestion re:the imovie app it just says: "No updates. All your apps or up to date." I'm still getting caught up in the same cycle: You have “iMovie.app” 10.1.4. Download version 10.4 for free from the App Store," which when I follow that to its bitter end I get an error message that says the new version of iMovie "Requires macOs 13.5 or later." Is there a place I can go to download not the latest version of iMovie?

Mar 31, 2024 5:09 AM in response to Johnnyjohnson447

Johnnyjohnson447 wrote:

I need iMovie 14

I don't think there is an iMovie 14.

The current version is iMovie 10.4. It requires macOS 13.5 (Ventura) or later. (This was an issue for the OP; their Mac couldn't run anything later than Monterey.). The new 10.4 feature to "export HEVC and H.264 files faster by simultaneously processing video segments across available media engines" requires macOS Sonoma and a Mac with a M1 Max, M1 Ultra, M2 Max, M2 Ultra, or M3 Max processor.

Do you have, or can your Mac be upgraded to, Ventura or Sonoma?

Dec 30, 2023 8:05 AM in response to den.thed

den.thed wrote:

Update Monterey to 14.7.2.. Then open the Mac App Store and select Updates, there you should be offered the Pages, Numbers, Keynotes and iMovie 10.3.8 updates.

Monterey 12.7.2 is not going to be enough to help with the main App Store listings, if the App Store is checking for Ventura 13.5 or later. It might be worthwhile for the OP to recheck the Purchased section, though.

Dec 30, 2023 12:35 PM in response to den.thed

den.thed wrote:

The incremental versions are only offered for Update, based on the macOS version.

The OP said in an earlier post that (emphasis mine)

When I try your first suggestion re:the imovie app it just says: "No updates. All your apps or up to date." I'm still getting caught up in the same cycle: You have “iMovie.app” 10.1.4. Download version 10.4 for free from the App Store," which when I follow that to its bitter end I get an error message that says the new version of iMovie "Requires macOs 13.5 or later."

and

I updated the operating system as far as I could go...which was macOS Monterey version 12.7.1.

Unless updating to 12.7.2 suddenly opens up new options in the Purchased section of the App Store, it appears that the OP is stuck between a rock and a hard place.

Need older version of iMovie

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.