You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Iphone XR won't turn on water damage

I dropped my phone in the tub. it was in there for a couple of seconds before I pulled it out. it died soon after since it was on 1%. I had somewhere to be so I tried charging it multiple times after I blowdried it(I know that's bad but I needed my phone). I left it in rice for six hours and now it won't charge or turn back on. I made an appointment with apple tomorrow but any suggestions before then?

iPhone 13 Pro, iOS 16

Posted on Nov 30, 2023 2:33 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 30, 2023 4:20 AM

1. Do Not Attempt to Charge!!!

If your iPhone accidentally gets wet and doesn't turn on, do not try to charge it. Charging a wet iPhone can make the situation worse and cause short circuits inside the phone, damaging its internal parts, including memory and storage. Water can also cause corrosion, which cannot be fixed. Charging a wet phone can harm the battery, the phone's brain, or the cables inside it. Such damage can stop the phone from working altogether. Water and electricity are dangerous together, and attempting to charge a wet phone is not safe. It is crucial not to charge a wet iPhone and instead let it dry in a safe place. Seeking professional assistance, such as booking an appointment with Apple, is the best course of action for assessing and addressing the damage.

2. Check for External Water:

Carefully inspect the ports and openings of your iPhone for any visible water. Gently shake the device to see if any excess water comes out. If you notice any, use a soft, lint-free cloth to carefully dry those areas.

3. Let it Dry Further: 

Place your iPhone in a dry environment with good air circulation. Avoid using heat sources like hairdryers, as excessive heat may cause damage. You've already tried rice; alternatively, you can use silica gel packets, which are often more effective.

4. Patience is Key: 

Give it more time to dry. Sometimes, leaving the device to dry for an extended period, up to 48 hours, can improve the chances of it recovering.

5. Apple Appointment:

Making an appointment with Apple is a wise decision. They have the necessary expertise to evaluate the damage and offer practical solutions that can help you address the issue.

6. Backup Data:

If you have not already, consider whether there's any crucial data on your iPhone that you can still retrieve. If you have recent backups, your data will be safer during the troubleshooting process. If you ever find yourself in a situation where you need a backup plan, it's always a good idea to have alternative options. One such option is using iCloud, or your Mac or PC to back up your device. With these methods, you can ensure that all your important data is safely stored in case of an emergency. Additionally, it's helpful to know how to restore your device from a backup, should the need arise. Take the time to learn these valuable skills and you'll have peace of mind knowing that you're prepared for any circumstance.

I'm sorry to hear that you're facing a challenging situation, but I'm here to help you find positive and actionable solutions that can empower you to take control of the extent of the damage. Remember, water damage can be unpredictable, and the success of recovery varies from case to case. The Apple technicians will be better equipped to evaluate the situation and advise you on the next steps.

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Nov 30, 2023 4:20 AM in response to eternallyonline

1. Do Not Attempt to Charge!!!

If your iPhone accidentally gets wet and doesn't turn on, do not try to charge it. Charging a wet iPhone can make the situation worse and cause short circuits inside the phone, damaging its internal parts, including memory and storage. Water can also cause corrosion, which cannot be fixed. Charging a wet phone can harm the battery, the phone's brain, or the cables inside it. Such damage can stop the phone from working altogether. Water and electricity are dangerous together, and attempting to charge a wet phone is not safe. It is crucial not to charge a wet iPhone and instead let it dry in a safe place. Seeking professional assistance, such as booking an appointment with Apple, is the best course of action for assessing and addressing the damage.

2. Check for External Water:

Carefully inspect the ports and openings of your iPhone for any visible water. Gently shake the device to see if any excess water comes out. If you notice any, use a soft, lint-free cloth to carefully dry those areas.

3. Let it Dry Further: 

Place your iPhone in a dry environment with good air circulation. Avoid using heat sources like hairdryers, as excessive heat may cause damage. You've already tried rice; alternatively, you can use silica gel packets, which are often more effective.

4. Patience is Key: 

Give it more time to dry. Sometimes, leaving the device to dry for an extended period, up to 48 hours, can improve the chances of it recovering.

5. Apple Appointment:

Making an appointment with Apple is a wise decision. They have the necessary expertise to evaluate the damage and offer practical solutions that can help you address the issue.

6. Backup Data:

If you have not already, consider whether there's any crucial data on your iPhone that you can still retrieve. If you have recent backups, your data will be safer during the troubleshooting process. If you ever find yourself in a situation where you need a backup plan, it's always a good idea to have alternative options. One such option is using iCloud, or your Mac or PC to back up your device. With these methods, you can ensure that all your important data is safely stored in case of an emergency. Additionally, it's helpful to know how to restore your device from a backup, should the need arise. Take the time to learn these valuable skills and you'll have peace of mind knowing that you're prepared for any circumstance.

I'm sorry to hear that you're facing a challenging situation, but I'm here to help you find positive and actionable solutions that can empower you to take control of the extent of the damage. Remember, water damage can be unpredictable, and the success of recovery varies from case to case. The Apple technicians will be better equipped to evaluate the situation and advise you on the next steps.

Iphone XR won't turn on water damage

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.