You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Where to find templates or plugins for Final Cut Pro?

Hello! I’ve been searching and searching, and I am unable to find a plug-in to perform what I feel is a pretty standard task. I am a professor working to create educational videos. What I want to be able to do is to very quickly move and reframe my talking head A-roll footage to the right while I simultaneously bring in an image or a video on the left. This might be something as simple as bringing in an image of a book cover while I’m talking about a particular book or B-roll of another scholar. I’m mentioning in my videos by showing some B-roll of them, lecturing or teaching. As a bonus, it would be amazing if such a plug-in allowed me to customize different presets so that sometimes my talking head video took up 1/3 of the screen and the person I’m speaking about took up 2/3, while another preset would quickly create a picture in picture look that would resize and move me far enough to the right to then show B-roll in a frame in the top left. I am currently having to use key frames to achieve these effects, but a plug-in would make this so much simpler. Can anyone help me please?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Nov 16, 2023 6:05 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 16, 2023 9:53 AM

First, I'd create this myself in Motion.

Second, if you are not willing to take that plunge (Motion is easy to learn), there are several templates that do this split-screen type of effect. Check out MotionVFX, LenoFX, PremiumVFX, or maybe even XEffects.

Similar questions

3 replies

Nov 16, 2023 11:40 PM in response to theofragen

Although you didn't specifically request any features, I would assume you would want the "talking head" section to animate from full screen to the 1/3 space on the right side and have the "other media" animate along with it to fit.

You also said just 1/3 for the talking head - and on the right side... A template like this should 1) go either direction, 2) allow for variable "areas" (other than just 1/3) and 3) be able to work with any* sized media [* for example: every variation from 0.5625:1 (9:16) to 5:1].

As someone who has worked with Motion on a daily basis for over 16 years... I'd have to say that this is not a trivial project.

I'm sorry — I've had a bad day. FxFactory released "50 Creative Borders" today and quite a few of my ideas were "taken". They've also taken to claiming any aspect ratio will work -- yeah... I bet... snapshots. A whole lot of my ideas have been ... usurped... lately by FxFactory people. (Nobody cares...)

I've also had a bad week (under the weather) so this took me awhile to put together...

https://fcpxtemplates.com/sdm_downloads/talking-head-title-dz-side/

Okay - so what does this do?

It's a Title template. Place it over your Talking Head clip and add media to the Drop Zone. The media (including the drop zone media) can be any size up to 5:1 and there are Pan/Scale parameters to help fit it into the space. There is also a separate Pan Src slider to help center up your talking head.

[Note: if you have to Pan Src, it should be keyframed from 0 to its target value during the animation so as not to reveal a "copy edge" and keyframed again at the end animation back to 0. I tried very hard to automate this, but I still have a few "wrinkles" to iron out — the bloody filter I used didn't want to cooperate!]

The Screen Divide % parameter will go from 25% to 75% (1/4 to 3/4). It defaults to 1/3 (33%). It can be keyframed if you wish.

You have the option to to from Left to Right or Right to Left with the animation. The "talking head" can align to either side. (Variation is a good thing.)

There is a Color border available with different sizing parameters for each side as well as Opacity controls for each side independently.

There are Timing controls so you don't have to keyframe the "slide" animation. Simply mark how much time (in % of length of the title) you want the animations to carry out (+ an easing control).

Please let me know when you've downloaded it. It will only be available for a very limited time. If you don't want it, also let me know that. I don't care... I'll put this to use for my own stuff.

As for the PiP effect — I have to recommend AutoCrop:

https://youtu.be/dcs2MKY1Rqs

which now comes with an automatically animated version:

https://youtu.be/qcpik4aebJo

[Not to be confused with Autocrop in FCP iPad... even Apple takes my stuff...]

AutoCrop is fast, intuitive and versatile — but there are all kinds of PiP effects around, you shouldn't have any trouble finding any (you can probably find plenty of free PiPs as well.)

All of my templates are 100% Motion made. They will not break when updates occur (I have templates that date all the way back to FCP 10.0 that still work in all versions.) I don't use FxPlug and never will (even though that might restrict some of the things I would like to be able to do.)

All of my "advanced" templates are locked... I don't really think anyone would understand what I've done anyway but I've gotten tired of getting ripped off... The lock is my copyright notice!

You can dig through all the effects/templates you can get from MotionVFX, LenoFX, PremiumVFX, or... maybe even XEffects — but they're all "scatter gun" packages... buy 30+ templates for $49 to get 3 or 4 you *might* use often enough to justify the cost. Not to mention all the HD real estate wasted on the ones that won't be used. Or, just buy what you need. (My philosophy... apparently nobody else's...)

Where to find templates or plugins for Final Cut Pro?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.