You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Editing Text with Motion

Hi, I am a newbie to FCP and Motion. I recently downloaded some text lower thirds templates for FCP and Motion. The issue is when I edit the text with my own, due to a longer text length , the text gets cut on either side of the template. I can't do anything about it in the setting pane. I came to know that you can alter the same in motion but haven't been able to! Also when I move the text around the edges, it cuts around as if there is a boundary to the text ! Any longer length text cuts trimmed. Pl Help!

Posted on Oct 26, 2023 3:22 AM

Similar questions

4 replies

Oct 26, 2023 3:32 AM in response to Irfan Sait

When you add a title to your timeline in FCP, there are, depending on the specific title, several things that you can control. Press Command-4 to open the Inspector. There will be a Title pane, a Text pane and a Video pane. If the text is too long to fit, you may simply reduce the font size, using the Text inspector:

And if you want to move the title to a different position on the screen and not have it cut off, as in your screenshots, try using the Transform tools, on the viewer or the Video inspector, instead of dragging the text itself.

Oct 26, 2023 4:44 AM in response to Irfan Sait

In pictures:

DON'T move it like this:

PRESS Shift-T to activate the Transform tool (it shows in blue below the viewer, you can also just click the little square there to activate or deactivate the tool) and drag (or make the changes directly in the Inspector).

Also, of note: the rectangle you see in the previous image shows you the limits of the title. Text disappears when you drag it (using the first method above) beyond these limits.

Oct 26, 2023 3:49 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Thanks. I did reduce the text size for visibility but want to know is how can I overcome the limitation of an invisible box around the text template that cuts off my text when I move to edges. How do I get rid of those edges so I may freely move the text around my video frame anywhere I wish to , just like a normal text which I move using the transform tool.

Editing Text with Motion

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.