You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Samsung T7 Portable SSD (2TB) Is it compatible with my 2017 iMac

I would like to use an external SSD with high speed and enough space for my East West Library, instead of using Macintosh storage for the library. Will it be compatible with my mac considering it is the year 2017, updated to Ventura 13.5.2 Processor 2,3 GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i5

Does anyone have different recommendations for storage considering my needs?

Thank you!

Posted on Oct 19, 2023 5:01 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 19, 2023 5:43 AM

the Samsung T7 should work fine with your iMac. but please make sure to NOT use any software on the drive that supposedly makes the drive "Mac ready". when you use software from just about any manufacturer for their storage device you run the risk of that same software not being compatible with macOS updates / upgrades. it can cause the software to stop working. at best this will cause you a headache. at worst it can render your data inaccessible. it is always best to use disk utility to erase and format a drive before use to remove any preloaded software. and this appears especially true when it comes to Samsung software.

please see Erase and reformat a storage device in Disk Utility on Mac - Apple Support

9 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 19, 2023 5:43 AM in response to nonedey

the Samsung T7 should work fine with your iMac. but please make sure to NOT use any software on the drive that supposedly makes the drive "Mac ready". when you use software from just about any manufacturer for their storage device you run the risk of that same software not being compatible with macOS updates / upgrades. it can cause the software to stop working. at best this will cause you a headache. at worst it can render your data inaccessible. it is always best to use disk utility to erase and format a drive before use to remove any preloaded software. and this appears especially true when it comes to Samsung software.

please see Erase and reformat a storage device in Disk Utility on Mac - Apple Support

Samsung T7 Portable SSD (2TB) Is it compatible with my 2017 iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.