You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Google Chrome open in preview default location in Sonoma

When printing from google gmail on google chrome, and I choose, open in Preview, the default location of where the file is saved is not what I set in chrome (desktop), it is opening up in a location "printing.(numbers). How do I get it to open and default location is desktop. This is only happening since upgrade to Sonoma.

iMac Pro, macOS 14.0

Posted on Oct 18, 2023 10:42 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 30, 2023 7:17 PM

Yes, how you describe it is exactly how it is happening on my computer. I know I can use the pull down to save where I want, but it is really frustrating.

7 replies

Oct 30, 2023 11:50 AM in response to WhisperingWempe

Since Sonoma update: I have had the same problem on my iMac when using Google Chrome, no matter if it is in Gmail or a website. When you choose file print and then choose open in preview the designated folder the preview is saving to is a folder labeled: printing.12345.1 (Not the numbers app) The numbers after the word printing. changes in sequence each time you want to save from preview. If you press save you cannot access your document anymore because the folder printing.12345.1 (numbers change each time) is found under Macintosh, in the following folders sequence: private, var, tb, vhsnp689....., T, TemproaryItems, printing.12345.1 (numbers change each time). I have done some research to reproduce this. Before saving the preview, press the arrow preview name and choose "where" from drop-down select "other". This will open up the whole pane of the folder sequence, here you can see what I've described above. This happens only on Chrome. I tried Safari opened a website chose file print and open in preview and it automatically saves to the location my desktop. Anyone else resolved this problem ? I have opened Chrome and cannot find a fix, I am up to date on versions: "Version 118.0.5993.117 (Official Build) (x86_64)". I have shut down and restarted several times, no resolve. My Macbook Pro is still running Ventura no issues. Anyone resolve this ??? HELP

Feb 24, 2024 4:59 AM in response to fiedlerjs1

I'm also struggling with this issue. Is APPLE doing anything to fix this?

Note to Apple: I REFUSE to upgrade to the new Sonoma because it adds nearly 3 mins of document hunting or changing the file mapping, when it works JUST FINE in Ventura. I hate waiting to use the new software but this issue is makes half of the work take 10x's as long. I didn't pay for a spectacularly FAST computer just to be slowed down by a HORRIBLE ios update.

Oct 21, 2023 5:09 PM in response to fiedlerjs1

Hi!

Here to help.

"Numbers" is Apple native app. Location default. There may have been a change, that interferes with Google Gmail settings. Let's see.

I tried to reproduce the issue with printing an attachment in Gmail as well as an email from Gmail. In my case, they all go to downloads, though I expect a temporary file saved in between.

I have not enough to go on, but it seems, Preview is opening some kind of temporary file.

What I need:

The exact order of action

(eg. open Gmail > open email > Double click attachment > click "print-icon" etc)

I need to know the exact steps, so I can reproduce.

Let me know!

Kind regards

RRD

Feb 24, 2024 7:05 AM in response to tinker-ette

As of today Feb24,2024 I continue the same issue and no update has fixed this problem, when on a website you choose print, open print you choose save as pdf and it saves to a temporary file that you cannot locate or access this file. You have to reopen the preview saved file recently, use drop-down to locate the file location, and then change it to whatever location you want on your computer for it to appear in.

I also refuse to upgrade to Sonoma on my other computer MBP. My iMac is running Sonoma with this horrible time-consuming problem.

Feb 24, 2024 7:02 AM in response to WhisperingWempe

Look at my post previous to yours, I describe the exact steps. And to this day February 24, 2024, it is the same nothing has been fixed when running on OS Sonoma. By the way, it is not Gmail, it is Chrome, any website when you want to save by going through the steps I described in my other post. Choose File, choose Print, opens to print choose save as pdf. It saves in a temporary file that you cannot locate unless you reopen the Preview recent file again and choose the drop-down for saved you will find the temp file it is saved on, and then you to manually change the location to desktop or download or anywhere else you want. no longer saves to desktop or document or download locations. See my previous email!

Google Chrome open in preview default location in Sonoma

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.