You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Failed to create simple Table of Content in Pages 13.2

When I want to insert a very simple table of content in my document, the words 'document' and 'section' stay grey. I checked the Help Pages, Youtube video's but it does not work and looks different from what I see in the video's. The words 'document' and ' section' should be black, and active so I can choose how I want my Table of content.

How can I activate these because I want to make a table of content?

Thank you in advance.

I am only working with Pages since 30 years...

FF

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 13.2

Posted on Oct 13, 2023 2:17 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 13, 2023 4:34 AM

Here are the conditions where the Table of Contents menu items are grayed out:

1. A page layout style document (Document : Document Body is not selected)
  2. Attempting to insert a ToC into a word processing layout Text box

Otherwise, even a blank word processing layout document has active Table of Contents menu items. In this style of document, I applied two header paragraph styles to the content in a Pages v13.1 document and readily generated the ToC.

Don't use Pages '09 documentation or (potentially outdated) YouTube videos as any form of guide on how to use the current Pages version. Your profile shows macOS 13.2 and that is now up to 13.6, so you should keep your operating system and Pages versions current.

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 13, 2023 4:34 AM in response to Frisko

Here are the conditions where the Table of Contents menu items are grayed out:

1. A page layout style document (Document : Document Body is not selected)
  2. Attempting to insert a ToC into a word processing layout Text box

Otherwise, even a blank word processing layout document has active Table of Contents menu items. In this style of document, I applied two header paragraph styles to the content in a Pages v13.1 document and readily generated the ToC.

Don't use Pages '09 documentation or (potentially outdated) YouTube videos as any form of guide on how to use the current Pages version. Your profile shows macOS 13.2 and that is now up to 13.6, so you should keep your operating system and Pages versions current.

Oct 13, 2023 12:39 PM in response to VikingOSX

I'm running Catalina, and need Pages 11.1. I generally prefer older OS, and try to stay behind the times; don't like macOS being downgraded into IOS. I run OS9.2 on a G4, High Sierra on iMac 2011, Mojave on a Mini 2014, Catalina, Monterey and Ventura on an iMac 2017. I have Pages for Monterey and Ventura, but prefer to use Catalina. Why? Because I want a bootable backup disk. Carbon Copy Cloner cannot create one for OS past Catalina. I have ordered Word 2016 and will install it on Catalina, but I also like to use Pages. I have Pages 4.3 (iWork '09) on High Sierra and Mojave, but cannot update it. How can I get Pages 11.01 for Catalina?

Oct 13, 2023 12:52 PM in response to petermyersaus

If you ever installed Pages from the Mac App Store since Oct 2013, then you can get Pages v11.1 for Catalina, but no newer version of Pages. If your Mac had Pages preinstalled by Apple on a new device, then there is no means to get it from the Mac App Store. Apple does not provide separate downloadable full installers for past versions of Pages, Numbers, or Keynote.

Launch the Mac App Store and sign in with the same Apple ID that you used previously to install Pages. Press cmd+0 (zero) to open the Purchased panel. If Pages is there, click it and do not cancel any dialog that appears, as eventually it will offer to install the last compatible version of Pages for Catalina.

Microsoft has retired all Office 2016 products including Word 2016 and that means they also canned the relevant license servers. If you can install Word 2016 on Catalina without the installer rejecting you, I doubt you will be able to license it on an operating system that Microsoft no longer supports for its products.

There is no update for Pages '09 beyond v4.3 (12/2012).

Failed to create simple Table of Content in Pages 13.2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.