You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Concerns about transferring data over to my new Mac

So recently I purchased a new MacBook Pro and I am in the process of transferring over all of the many specific files on my old laptop to my new one. I don't want to transfer all of the data on my old computer, just the specific stuff that I want. I need to ship back the old computer soon though to Apple because I am getting credit for exchanging it and I'll I am running low on time. I have created a backup of my old computer using Time Machine, however, I am still nervous about wiping it and shipping it back before I am absolutely positive that I have gotten everything I need currently over to my new computer through file sharing or will be able to access it through Time Machine on my new laptop at a later date. Is there anything else other than the stuff I will be able to access from a Time Machine backup that is worth transferring over to my new computer before wiping my old one? Stuff like passwords, message history, app settings and preferences, fonts, etc? My worst fear is shipping back my old laptop and realizing that the time machine backup is missing important files.

Posted on Oct 6, 2023 6:20 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 6, 2023 7:41 PM

I understand your concern. Ideally, you should wait until you get the new Mac and populate all its contents before parting with the old one. That way, you would essentially have two separate and independent sources from which you can transfer your data, just in case one of them chooses not to cooperate.

Transferring data directly from a Mac or its Time Machine backup makes literally no difference. I recommend you transfer everything. You can delete what you don't need later.

The next best alternative would be to create an additional, redundant, Time Machine backup — perhaps using an inexpensive external USB-connected hard disk drive. You can connect it to a Time Capsule or AEBS or directly to the Mac.

As confident as I am in Time Machine having one and only one backup is asking for trouble.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 6, 2023 7:41 PM in response to knightfallsfast

I understand your concern. Ideally, you should wait until you get the new Mac and populate all its contents before parting with the old one. That way, you would essentially have two separate and independent sources from which you can transfer your data, just in case one of them chooses not to cooperate.

Transferring data directly from a Mac or its Time Machine backup makes literally no difference. I recommend you transfer everything. You can delete what you don't need later.

The next best alternative would be to create an additional, redundant, Time Machine backup — perhaps using an inexpensive external USB-connected hard disk drive. You can connect it to a Time Capsule or AEBS or directly to the Mac.

As confident as I am in Time Machine having one and only one backup is asking for trouble.

Concerns about transferring data over to my new Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.