You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

External webcam via monitor's USB hub unresponsive after Mac mini wakes from sleep

I have a BenQ PD2705U monitor, which has a built in USB hub and KVM switch. Everything else works fine except for the Nexigo N60 webcam.

The Mac mini is connected to the monitor via USB C. The webcam is connected via USB 3 to the monitor's hub. When I switch on the monitor, the webcam works fine. Once the Mac sleeps & monitor switches to standby. After a short time when the Mac is reactivated by. either mouse or keyboard input, the monitor and Mac both wake but the webcam doesn't show a picture anymore until the monitor is switched off and on again. Other peripherals attached to the monitor work normally.

However, switching to a PC via the monitor's built in KVM switch, the webcam functions normally for the PC but not for the Mac. This seems to be a Mac issue. Any ideas?

Posted on Oct 3, 2023 4:12 AM

Similar questions

15 replies

Oct 3, 2023 9:10 AM in response to SmoothFlyer

EtreCheck is a FREE simple little diagnostic tool to display the important details of your system configuration and allow you to copy that information to the Clipboard. It is meant to be used with Apple Support Communities to help people help you with your Mac. It will not display any personal info.

https://www.etrecheck.com/

Thanks for Old Toad’s etrecheck instructions…

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/255121100?answerId=259529290022#259529290022

Use the Note tool on the bottom of this editor's toolbar, as shown in the image, to copy and paste the output from EtreCheck. In a Reply before you click post, look for this to add longer texts...

Oct 9, 2023 9:56 AM in response to SmoothFlyer

So, it's not a Sleep issue (as originally reported) but an issue with the monitor's USB C port.

Do the following to avoid the montior's USB C entirely, should fix:

• Disconnect the USB C cable from the mini and connect it to the mini's USB-A port using a suitable C-A adapter
  • Connect the monitor to the mini using an HDMI cable not longer than 3 feet/1m

Dec 1, 2023 9:27 PM in response to hcsitas

I had not adjusted the sleep settings since you'd said in your post above "So, it's not a Sleep issue (as originally reported) but an issue with the monitor's USB C port. Do the following to avoid the montior's USB C entirely, should fix:

• Disconnect the USB C cable from the mini and connect it to the mini's USB-A port using a suitable C-A adapter
  • Connect the monitor to the mini using an HDMI cable not longer than 3 feet/1m"

This is my setup, and I am still having the same issue.

Oct 6, 2023 7:46 AM in response to VikingOSX

Hi. Yes, direct connection works normally, but the webcam is a shared resource between two machines and therefore the need to connect via a hub. Like I mentioned earlier, when the monitor is restarted, the webcam works fine. The problem is only with the Mac mini and not with the PC, both of which are connected to the monitor via its built in hub.

I also contacted the monitor's manufacturer BenQ, whose response is as follows:

Hello,

I’m sorry to keep you waiting.

I have escalated your case to our engineers for further assistance, and there is some info we would like to share with you.

Based on the feedback you provided, our engineers believe that you already did some cross-checks comparing with the PC, it is caused because the pulse from the Mac is not significant enough to wake up the device.

As it looks like an Apple compatibility issue, what we can suggest is that please have the latest upgrade to see whether it is resolved by Apple.

Your understanding and cooperation are highly appreciated.

Yours sincerely,

Andy

BenQ Europe

https://benq.de

Oct 11, 2023 7:51 AM in response to hcsitas

Thanks for that helpful comment. I do believe that connecting the Mac mini to the monitor with separate cables would probably solve the issue. However, I've decided to live with the webcam issue as it's convenient and neater (fewer cables) to connect the Mac mini to the monitor with a single USB C cable.

Appreciate your help.

Update: Oops. Clicked the "Best Answer" button in error on my above reply. Was actually meant for the reply from hcsitas

External webcam via monitor's USB hub unresponsive after Mac mini wakes from sleep

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.