You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Japanese kana keyboard documentation

Hi

I got a MacBook pro with Japanese Kana keyboard and would like to know how to type on this thing.

I mean type in Japanese.

But hardly anything works. I don't know how to type smallcase characters in Hiragana.

When I type in Katakana instead all characters come out as smallcase for some weird reason.

I also don't know how to "reach" the 4th character on a 4-character key. I tried all combinations of shift and option and command and control and ... but doesn't work.

So I'm desperately searching for the documentation for that thing. Without luck so far.

Can be in Japanese if it has to :/

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 14.0

Posted on Oct 2, 2023 5:39 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 2, 2023 7:41 AM

Apple's instructions are at

Japanese Input Method User Guide for Mac - Apple Support

Normally the 3rd and 4th characters on a key are option and option shift. Please give specific example of one you cannot make.

Normally small hiragana is made by typing an x before it. Does that work for you?

Let us know of any specific problems you still have.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 2, 2023 7:41 AM in response to DarsVaeda

Apple's instructions are at

Japanese Input Method User Guide for Mac - Apple Support

Normally the 3rd and 4th characters on a key are option and option shift. Please give specific example of one you cannot make.

Normally small hiragana is made by typing an x before it. Does that work for you?

Let us know of any specific problems you still have.

Japanese kana keyboard documentation

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.