You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

📢 Newsroom Update

The new iPad mini is available today. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Brand New iPad Pro stuck on *Install Now during iPadOS 17.0.2 software update.

Just received my brand new iPad Pro 4 and wanted to transfer all data to my new iPad. First it wanted to download and install iPadOS 17.0.2. It downloaded okay but it’s stuck on *Install Now for hours. I guess I’ll end up calling Apple and being stuck on the phone for a while, but if you have any hints on how to quickly fix this it would be appreciated.

Posted on Sep 29, 2023 8:34 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 14, 2023 2:27 PM

SOLVED at least for me. Had the same problem. Turns out new iPad had iOS 16.6. Could not setup as iOS was to old. So… iTunes to the rescue. Hooked up new iPad to iTunes. Set up as new iPad. It detected the need for iOS update and did it (took 30 minutes or son to download, then another 30 or so to install itself ). Once competed, ran Bluetooth setup on new iPad, next to old one and voila. Bob's your uncle. Good luck folks.

15 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 14, 2023 2:27 PM in response to tjstole

SOLVED at least for me. Had the same problem. Turns out new iPad had iOS 16.6. Could not setup as iOS was to old. So… iTunes to the rescue. Hooked up new iPad to iTunes. Set up as new iPad. It detected the need for iOS update and did it (took 30 minutes or son to download, then another 30 or so to install itself ). Once competed, ran Bluetooth setup on new iPad, next to old one and voila. Bob's your uncle. Good luck folks.

Nov 12, 2023 2:09 AM in response to dkb123

dkb123 is right. The problem I think is that you have to do TWO OS upgrades as the ipad was distributed with not the final OS 16 upgrade. So you have to do that, THEN do the OS 17 upgrade, THEN wipe it, THEN the transfer works.

The transfer also required the card verification of everything in my wallet and passwords for all three of my apple accounts (I'd love to merge them, but Apple makes you make a new one for every country you live, purchase software, and have a bank account in, and won't migrate when you move country.) So I lost about 3 hours total to this process, plus it would never have worked except something about the process somehow unjammed the problems with some (but not all) of the buttons on my old ipad so I could upgrade that as well.

Nov 12, 2023 12:37 AM in response to tjstole

I forced a reset, and then it said "transferring data... estimating time remaining". I left it saying this overnight and it was still saying it this morning. So I updated

My old iPad the buttons stopped working, so I couldn't do much with it (it was stuck in a news app), but something in this process kicked it out of that problem and I was able to run upgrades for the first time in weeks. It complained about a full disk (!) so I deleted a few apps as well as doing 15 waiting upgrades & an os upgrade. Now I've repeated everything again, and it is again they are both stuck saying they are estimating time.

Apr 12, 2024 4:54 AM in response to erikfrombrossard

Yes! I had forgotten but when these i*** devices first appeared you could almost always recover them thru iTunes. I just applied your solution to a iPad Pro 17.4 and as you said it took some time to download. I spent the day chatting and calling but no one knew, or perhaps embarrassed that it takes a PC to get a reluctant iPad Pro to setup properly.

Brand New iPad Pro stuck on *Install Now during iPadOS 17.0.2 software update.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.