You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What do I do to get the CPU temperature of my MacBook Pro?

I want to know the CPU temperature of my MacBook Pro.

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 13.5

Posted on Sep 8, 2023 1:34 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 8, 2023 6:03 PM

I personally like Macs Fan Control, but don't adjust the fan speed....let macOS and the Apple hardware manage the cooling system. Seems to work fine with Apple Silicon Macs. There is also a way of using the command line to retrieve the CPU temp, but it does vary between Intel & Apple Silicon Macs IIRC.

FYI, usually before most recent Macs power off due to temps exceeding 100C (or 105C) with the fans running at max speed, the CPU will automatically become throttled to idle speeds in order to allow the fans to sufficiently lower the temps to a safer level. I haven't seen a Mac power off due to overheating in a long time.

As the others have mentioned, there really should be no reason for the average user needing to monitor system temps. The values are meaningless unless you know what the normal temps should be for various tasks since at least with Intel Macs, the CPU temps will be very high even for basic tasks....the CPU temp can spike to 80C just by moving the mouse pointer (it is just a spike while there is some form of activity).

If you suspect a hardware issue, then run the Apple Diagnostics to see if any hardware issues are detected. The Apple Diagnostics usually do a good job of verifying the proper functioning of the cooling system (sensors & fans). The diagnostics rarely detect any other types of hardware issues except perhaps for the battery.

Usually if the laptop is running hotter than normal, it is usually due to an issue with some third party software. Less often maybe an externally connected device.

Edit: I should add that with Macs Fan Control, it is possible to use the app without installing it, but that can be tricky since everyone's default instinct is to agree to every prompt given by macOS or the app. It can even be run from the Downloads folder. When launching the app you can select "Do Not Move" so the app remains in the Downloads folder. You will then be prompted by macOS security to allow Macs Fan Control to install a helper tool. This will install a launch item in order to control the fan which you should not really do anyway. This is the only low level item that gets tied to macOS. By cancelling the request, you deny this low level item from being installed. You will then be given a notice that "Fan control not available" with a button to click "Monitoring-only". Both prompts have a check box to remember the setting so you don't get prompted again. Most other temperature monitoring apps will not give you an option to deny installing these lower level items into macOS.

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 8, 2023 6:03 PM in response to Steve324

I personally like Macs Fan Control, but don't adjust the fan speed....let macOS and the Apple hardware manage the cooling system. Seems to work fine with Apple Silicon Macs. There is also a way of using the command line to retrieve the CPU temp, but it does vary between Intel & Apple Silicon Macs IIRC.

FYI, usually before most recent Macs power off due to temps exceeding 100C (or 105C) with the fans running at max speed, the CPU will automatically become throttled to idle speeds in order to allow the fans to sufficiently lower the temps to a safer level. I haven't seen a Mac power off due to overheating in a long time.

As the others have mentioned, there really should be no reason for the average user needing to monitor system temps. The values are meaningless unless you know what the normal temps should be for various tasks since at least with Intel Macs, the CPU temps will be very high even for basic tasks....the CPU temp can spike to 80C just by moving the mouse pointer (it is just a spike while there is some form of activity).

If you suspect a hardware issue, then run the Apple Diagnostics to see if any hardware issues are detected. The Apple Diagnostics usually do a good job of verifying the proper functioning of the cooling system (sensors & fans). The diagnostics rarely detect any other types of hardware issues except perhaps for the battery.

Usually if the laptop is running hotter than normal, it is usually due to an issue with some third party software. Less often maybe an externally connected device.

Edit: I should add that with Macs Fan Control, it is possible to use the app without installing it, but that can be tricky since everyone's default instinct is to agree to every prompt given by macOS or the app. It can even be run from the Downloads folder. When launching the app you can select "Do Not Move" so the app remains in the Downloads folder. You will then be prompted by macOS security to allow Macs Fan Control to install a helper tool. This will install a launch item in order to control the fan which you should not really do anyway. This is the only low level item that gets tied to macOS. By cancelling the request, you deny this low level item from being installed. You will then be given a notice that "Fan control not available" with a button to click "Monitoring-only". Both prompts have a check box to remember the setting so you don't get prompted again. Most other temperature monitoring apps will not give you an option to deny installing these lower level items into macOS.

What do I do to get the CPU temperature of my MacBook Pro?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.