You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to stop macOS Monterey from auto-correcting Name to all CAPS?

Mail on MacOS Monterey suddenly started auto-correcting my name to ALL CAPS, every time I type it. This causes me to either have to hit Esc or CMD-Z to ignore or undo the change, and I'm not always successful when typing fast. There seems to be no way to fix this other than turning off auto-capitalization altogether. Apple's UX just keeps getting worse and worse. These "helpful" features are truly annoying!

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Aug 19, 2023 4:46 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 24, 2024 3:46 PM

So this was driving me bat**** crazy. I tried messing with keyboard settings etc.

I ended up fixing two things.

1. My contact card had been all capitalized. I changed to Firstname Lastname
  2. (This one had me going) I emailed someone my contact info with my name in ALL CAPS. Siri was finding that email, adding it as a hint in my contact card and "correcting" my name. After I deleted that email, it cleaned up my contact card. Mail stopped putting my name in ALL CAPS.

Look in your contact card and see if Siri is adding hints. If she is, delete them.

11 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Mar 24, 2024 3:46 PM in response to Hypraktiv

So this was driving me bat**** crazy. I tried messing with keyboard settings etc.

I ended up fixing two things.

1. My contact card had been all capitalized. I changed to Firstname Lastname
  2. (This one had me going) I emailed someone my contact info with my name in ALL CAPS. Siri was finding that email, adding it as a hint in my contact card and "correcting" my name. After I deleted that email, it cleaned up my contact card. Mail stopped putting my name in ALL CAPS.

Look in your contact card and see if Siri is adding hints. If she is, delete them.

Mar 14, 2024 5:30 PM in response to Hypraktiv

I just started having this problem today, though maybe it's been going for a few days since I don't type my full name every day. I am certain the problem wasn’t occurring a few weeks ago, as I can see in Mail that I wrote some emails in late February in which I included my full name.

Last week I updated to Sonoma 14.4 from whatever the previous version of Sonoma was, so I wonder if that's a factor, though I can see from this discussion, and some others I found online, that other people have had this problem with older versions of macOS.

I have Apple Care + coverage still so I called Apple today and they are working on figuring out a solution. I also I haven't seen any posts by people saying they've talked to Apple support about this problem. If Apple does figure out a solution , I'll post it here.

But it's really frustrating that there's no way to train macOS to stop capitalizing one's name.

How to stop macOS Monterey from auto-correcting Name to all CAPS?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.