You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

USB-C Charging via monitor 24/7 Plug in, would it affect battery health?

Hi All,

I am using MBP M2 14" with a Dell P2722QC. To optimise my workflow, i plug in the USBC for Display, usb hub and 90W power supply. Unfortunately i cannot turn off the power supply from the dell monitor so there is permanently power being supplied to my MBP.

Because of my work needs, my laptop is often if not always plug in. I am using it as though like a imac/mac mini unless i need to work offsite the MBP gives me the flexibility.

I am worried that my battery will always be charged at 100% and the 90W would heat up the battery affecting the health. I read that Li Ion battery work best at 20-80% and Aldente is a 3rd party app that limits charging above 80% until you need to.

Should i be worried about 90W delivery into a 100% charged battery constantly? Or should i work with the Aldente app?

TIA

MacBook, OS X 10.11

Posted on Aug 10, 2023 9:14 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 10, 2023 9:20 AM

Leaving the computer plugged in will not damage the computer or the battery. The MacOS manages the power/charging system very well. You can learn more about "Optimized" charging here: Charge the MacBook Pro battery - Apple Support

Similar questions

2 replies

Aug 10, 2023 9:43 AM in response to hanbaobao5

As BobTheFisherman says, supplying power at all times is the preferred method.

Your MacBook Pro  uses ‘smart charging’ to charge in the optimum way, and only when necessary. Plugged in is Not necessarily actively charging. There is substantial hardware and software cooperating on battery and charging issues.

In general, you should ALWAYS connect AC power when it is possible to do so, and only run on batteries (which could be somewhat slower) when no AC sources are at hand. Your Mac will NEVER over-charge. 

USB-C Charging via monitor 24/7 Plug in, would it affect battery health?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.