You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Pro Early 2015 won´t update from El capitan

Hi,

I never had Macbook before and just bought used Macbook Pro Early 2015 (i5 2,7, 8GB 1867 MHz DDR3, 128GB SSD) in which previous owner had Windows 10 installed. I reinstalled Mac OS from internet and got offered 10.11.6 El Capitan, so I installed this one hoping, it will update further once set up, but I don´t have option to update it from App Store - No updates available.

I tried google the answers, I found out, I´m not the only one with this issue, but I didn´t find solution, which would help me. I tried restarting Mac, restarting NVRAM/PRAM, trying to boot in safe mode, tried reinstalling from Recovery - but there is still only El Capitan, tried downloading new one from support.apple, but It´s not showing me any major OS after El Capitan, I can find only updates/patches.

Otherwise Macbook works fine, only issue is, there is broken screen, so I have to use external monitor, but that´s not an issue for me, could it somehow be problem for MBP to update? I should be able to update up to Monterey (I think). This is basically fresh installation, so I don´t need backup.

I know it´s older system, I know it´s not powerhouse, I just bought it for fun and trying different OS.

Im not really tech savvy in Mac world, so I would appreciate if your advices will be a little bit broadly explained.

Thanks in advance

MacBook Pro 13″

Posted on Aug 7, 2023 3:45 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 7, 2023 5:56 AM

These instructions should have been complied with by the seller prior to selling that Mac: What to do before you sell, give away, trade in, or recycle your Mac - Apple Support.

If you are 100% certain those steps were performed correctly, follow these instructions: How to download and install macOS - Apple Support. scroll down to Monterey 12. Use Safari, as it states.

If that Mac is running El Capitan, update it first, and then upgrade.

I don't think the broken screen matters.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 7, 2023 5:56 AM in response to Argethe

These instructions should have been complied with by the seller prior to selling that Mac: What to do before you sell, give away, trade in, or recycle your Mac - Apple Support.

If you are 100% certain those steps were performed correctly, follow these instructions: How to download and install macOS - Apple Support. scroll down to Monterey 12. Use Safari, as it states.

If that Mac is running El Capitan, update it first, and then upgrade.

I don't think the broken screen matters.

Macbook Pro Early 2015 won´t update from El capitan

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.