You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Buying an "open box" iPhone (verizon network) on ebay?

I am considering purchasing an open box/unused iPhone from a private seller on ebay. The seller claims it is not refurbished or used. It appears to be in new condition - and responded that it is not under warranty.

1. Is there any issue activating it with my Verizon account?
  2. Does Apple provide any support for a device not purchased through them?
  3. Is there something else I should be looking out for?

Posted on Jul 28, 2023 1:57 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 28, 2023 2:12 PM

xdapax wrote:

There shouldn't be.

Yes. You can verify warranty and support status by entering the serial number at Check Your Service and Support Coverage - Apple Support

Make sure it's not linked to anyone's Apple ID for iCloud and Find My is not turned on and that you can return it for a fill refund if it turns out it is. You will not be able to use it or unlink it from the Apple ID in that case in any way.

You can request the seller to turn it on, and show a picture of the screen. It should not be at the Home Screen with the Apps, but at the Hello Screen for setup. If it's on any another screen but that one, walk away.

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 28, 2023 2:12 PM in response to xdapax

xdapax wrote:

There shouldn't be.

Yes. You can verify warranty and support status by entering the serial number at Check Your Service and Support Coverage - Apple Support

Make sure it's not linked to anyone's Apple ID for iCloud and Find My is not turned on and that you can return it for a fill refund if it turns out it is. You will not be able to use it or unlink it from the Apple ID in that case in any way.

You can request the seller to turn it on, and show a picture of the screen. It should not be at the Home Screen with the Apps, but at the Hello Screen for setup. If it's on any another screen but that one, walk away.

Jul 28, 2023 2:32 PM in response to xdapax

xdapax wrote:

1. I am considering purchasing an open box/unused iPhone from a private seller on ebay. The seller claims it is not refurbished or used. It appears to be in new condition - and responded that it is not under warranty.
Is there any issue activating it with my Verizon account?

If it was purchased on a payment plan you will not be able to activate it until the phone is paid off.

Yes.

The All Too Common SAD Reality of Buying a Used iPad/iPhone

Buying an "open box" iPhone (verizon network) on ebay?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.