You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iphone rings once then show a second call incoming from the same caller

When I am getting an incoming phone call, my iphone12 will ring once then go silent as if the caller hung up but then a few seconds later, I will get a second incoming call from the same person.

I had someone call me this evening and deliberately didn’t answer the second call and it said I had 2 missed calls. The caller’s phone rang as normal while they waited for me to answer.

Why is it doing that?

No recent updates or setting changes

squawk box

Posted on Jul 26, 2023 6:18 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 6, 2024 7:40 AM

If your iPhone is ringing once and then immediately showing a second incoming call from the same number, it may be due to a feature called "Call Forwarding When Unanswered". This feature is designed to send calls to another number if you don't answer after a certain number of rings. If this feature is incorrectly set up, it might be causing the odd behavior you're experiencing.

Here are steps to check and turn off call forwarding:

1. Open the "Settings" app.
  2. Scroll down and tap on "Phone."
  3. Tap on "Call Forwarding."
  4. See if it's toggled on. If it is, tap on it, then turn it off.

If Call Forwarding is not enabled or turning it off doesn't solve the issue, it's possible that there is a glitch either with your iPhone or with your carrier's network. Here are some additional steps to troubleshoot:

1. Restart Your iPhone: Restarting the device can often fix temporary software glitches. To restart your iPhone, hold down the power button until you see "slide to power off." Slide it, wait for your iPhone to turn off, then press and hold the power button until you see the Apple logo.
  2. Update iOS: Make sure your iPhone is running the latest version of iOS. To check for updates, go to "Settings" > "General" > "Software Update."
  3. Reset Network Settings: As a last resort, you can reset the network settings on your iPhone. This will erase all network settings, returning them to factory defaults. You can do this by going to "Settings" > "General" > "Reset" > "Reset Network Settings." Please note that you will lose all saved Wi-Fi networks and passwords, and any other network settings when you do this.
  4. Contact Your Carrier: If none of the above steps work, it could be an issue with your carrier's network. Contact your carrier to see if there is a known issue or if they can provide further assistance.

If none of these steps resolve the issue, you should contact Apple Support for more help.

[Edited by Moderator]

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Feb 6, 2024 7:40 AM in response to poutineandy

If your iPhone is ringing once and then immediately showing a second incoming call from the same number, it may be due to a feature called "Call Forwarding When Unanswered". This feature is designed to send calls to another number if you don't answer after a certain number of rings. If this feature is incorrectly set up, it might be causing the odd behavior you're experiencing.

Here are steps to check and turn off call forwarding:

1. Open the "Settings" app.
  2. Scroll down and tap on "Phone."
  3. Tap on "Call Forwarding."
  4. See if it's toggled on. If it is, tap on it, then turn it off.

If Call Forwarding is not enabled or turning it off doesn't solve the issue, it's possible that there is a glitch either with your iPhone or with your carrier's network. Here are some additional steps to troubleshoot:

1. Restart Your iPhone: Restarting the device can often fix temporary software glitches. To restart your iPhone, hold down the power button until you see "slide to power off." Slide it, wait for your iPhone to turn off, then press and hold the power button until you see the Apple logo.
  2. Update iOS: Make sure your iPhone is running the latest version of iOS. To check for updates, go to "Settings" > "General" > "Software Update."
  3. Reset Network Settings: As a last resort, you can reset the network settings on your iPhone. This will erase all network settings, returning them to factory defaults. You can do this by going to "Settings" > "General" > "Reset" > "Reset Network Settings." Please note that you will lose all saved Wi-Fi networks and passwords, and any other network settings when you do this.
  4. Contact Your Carrier: If none of the above steps work, it could be an issue with your carrier's network. Contact your carrier to see if there is a known issue or if they can provide further assistance.

If none of these steps resolve the issue, you should contact Apple Support for more help.

[Edited by Moderator]

iphone rings once then show a second call incoming from the same caller

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.