You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 16.6 will not download. Message says "requires a Wi-Fi network connection" which I have and is working.

iOS 16.6 will not download. Message says "requires a Wi-Fi network connection" which I have and is working.

iPhone 13, iOS 16

Posted on Jul 25, 2023 6:54 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 25, 2023 8:34 PM

mikefromhowell wrote:

This has been going on with two iPhone 11’s since they pushed out the 16.5.1(c). I get the same message. Even when I update apps it asks me if I want to download using cellular data when I’m connected to my wifi. Now my iPad and both phones won’t update to 16.6 and I believe whatever the problem is it’s preventing the phones from backing up now too. My iPhone 11 Pro Max has had no issues including 16.6 tonight.

I would not expect an iPhone 11 Pro Max to offer a cellular download for an update. Not without a Jetpack or MiFi or similar device involved.

There have been some postings around here about the Wi-Fi connection required message, and the removal of any add-in VPN clients, the router restart, and a forced restart of the iPhone itself usually clears the issues and allows the update.

8 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 25, 2023 8:34 PM in response to mikefromhowell

mikefromhowell wrote:

This has been going on with two iPhone 11’s since they pushed out the 16.5.1(c). I get the same message. Even when I update apps it asks me if I want to download using cellular data when I’m connected to my wifi. Now my iPad and both phones won’t update to 16.6 and I believe whatever the problem is it’s preventing the phones from backing up now too. My iPhone 11 Pro Max has had no issues including 16.6 tonight.

I would not expect an iPhone 11 Pro Max to offer a cellular download for an update. Not without a Jetpack or MiFi or similar device involved.

There have been some postings around here about the Wi-Fi connection required message, and the removal of any add-in VPN clients, the router restart, and a forced restart of the iPhone itself usually clears the issues and allows the update.

Jul 27, 2023 9:45 AM in response to Jncorlett

Jncorlett wrote:

I've tried the router restart, no VPNs, and re-started the devices (iPhone 13, iPad Air 3, iPod touch) ..... the same problem lingers and shows even when updating some Apps on my iPad. I could eventually update iOS on my iPhone and iPad by direct connection to my iMac, but this shouldn't be necessary and introduced other complications (e.g. required backup and syncing, not what I wanted between all of my work/home devices).

If you suspect that the iOS/iPadOS 16.5.1(a) or 16.5.1(c) to be the cause of the problem, the Rapid Security Response (RSR) update can be easily removed:

Settings > General > About > iOS/iPadOS Version > Remove Security Response

After removing the update - you can can try to perform the iOS/iPadOS 16.6 update.

Jul 25, 2023 8:11 PM in response to Jncorlett

Jul 27, 2023 7:31 AM in response to MrHoffman

I've tried the router restart, no VPNs, and re-started the devices (iPhone 13, iPad Air 3, iPod touch) ..... the same problem lingers and shows even when updating some Apps on my iPad. I could eventually update iOS on my iPhone and iPad by direct connection to my iMac, but this shouldn't be necessary and introduced other complications (e.g. required backup and syncing, not what I wanted between all of my work/home devices).

Jul 27, 2023 9:30 AM in response to Jncorlett

Jncorlett wrote:

...I could eventually update iOS on my iPhone and iPad by direct connection to my iMac, but this shouldn't be necessary and introduced other complications (e.g. required backup and syncing, not what I wanted between all of my work/home devices).

Backup and sync are not compulsory unless up have already set the Finder screen to start them on connection.

Why a backup is not a considered a good thing before updating I don't understand.

Any ad-blockers which are often VPN at their heart?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.