You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have a gray screen on my iMac upon start up

Why do I have a gray screen upon startup? How do I fix it?

iMac, OS X 10.11

Posted on Jul 16, 2023 12:50 PM

6 replies

Mar 21, 2024 8:42 AM in response to mommy183

Do your know the sub-model of the iMac? Your equipment line includes "10.11" which is a very old macOS version. Apple only works on newer models†. It appears the currently the oldest iMacs they still service are the late 2015 models.

IF the computer will not start, look in the bottom of the metal stand's "foot" for the serial number:

Then enter the number into this Apple support page to see if it returns a sub-model description:

Check Your Service and Support Coverage - Apple Support

In this example...

..."(27-inch, Mid 2010)" is the sub-model of that iMac.

With the sub-model, we can better advise you whether to contact Apple support, or find an Apple Authorized Service Provider who still works on older Macs.

† — Apple Reference: Obtaining service for your Apple product after an expired warranty - Apple Support

I have a gray screen on my iMac upon start up

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.