You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Formula for monthly spend on personal budget

Hi, I am working on my personal budget spreadsheet & really struggling to work out a certain formula I need. I'll explain the layout of the spreadsheet in the hope someone can help. I have an overview of the year (the red table pictured):

As you can see, I have different areas of spending on the left, e.g. groceries, clothes etc. I have headings for these such as 'General' & 'Business'. These might look a bit like Numbers 'Categories', but they aren't; they're just normal rows I made a slightly darker colour. As the picture shows, I have some 'header' columns that summarise the whole year. I then have columns for each month.

It's the monthly 'Actual' columns I'm having trouble with. I want to pull figures into this column from my transactions tables lower down, but I can't get it to work. As an example, G1 needs to be the sum of all my 'Groceries & toiletries' transactions in January of this year, from the various tables I have for my different accounts. Here's one of those transactions tables (with personal info blacked out.) This one is for my current account, others are for my credit card and a savings accounts.

In these tables I have categories switched on to group transactions by month. Column A is usually hidden. I only added it because I tried to find out how to do this before and it was suggested to add a month column to help the formula work, but that was on a simpler sample table with a different layout and I haven't been able to get that to work here.

I'm think I'm ok with how to get values from multiple transaction tables, I think I just need to use a plus sign & repeat the formula. The problem is I can't get the formula right for even just the first table.

Can anyone help please?

iMac 24″, macOS 12.6

Posted on Jul 14, 2023 10:26 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 15, 2023 5:04 PM

The way I hide zeros is to create a custom format (at the bottom of the Data Format dropdown) that looks like this (you would need to modify slightly to display currency by dragging the $ up into the box):

That is a simple way to hide visual clutter.

To distinguish between "true zeros" and sums of blank cells might introduce more complication than it's worth, though.

SG

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 15, 2023 5:04 PM in response to CharityJF

The way I hide zeros is to create a custom format (at the bottom of the Data Format dropdown) that looks like this (you would need to modify slightly to display currency by dragging the $ up into the box):

That is a simple way to hide visual clutter.

To distinguish between "true zeros" and sums of blank cells might introduce more complication than it's worth, though.

SG

Jul 15, 2023 5:23 AM in response to Yellowbox

Thank-you Ian.

I searched for posts by him that might contain the document, and from the results managed to figure it out! This is the formula that worked:

Now I just need to tweak it, because it's showing "£0.00" wherever I don't have any transactions for that month & that category, but I find that too much distracting visual clutter. How can I make it so the cell is just blank if there are no entries for that category in that month? I don't want it to show blank if the value is genuinely zero, say if I'd had spent £100 in a certain category, but also been refunded the same amount... in that case I would want to see "£0.00". Do you know how to do that?

Jul 16, 2023 12:54 PM in response to SGIII

Ah ok SG, thanks for that info, I can imagine I may still use that somewhere. I had hoped there would be a way to have the cells show as blank if there were no entries in my transaction tables for that category in that month (e.g. if there was a month I spent nothing on clothes for example.)

I'll either use your workaround (it doesn't really matter too much to see zeros if my income & outgoings are the same; and if it does I can just change that one cell.) That or I'll just delete my formula in the cells with £0.00 in them; it's easy enough to reinstate if necessary by filling down or copy & pasting.

Formula for monthly spend on personal budget

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.