You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't Transfer iMovie From Old Mac To New Mac

I just purchased a new MacBook Air (2022). I am trying to transfer the iMovie library from my old MacBook Air (2017). Every time I do, I get this error message, "The document “iMovie Library 2” could not be opened. One or more of the libraries were created with a newer version of iMovie. These libraries will be ignored." What does this even mean? I tried the migration method. I tried transferring it from my external hard drive. Nothing is working. I have many videos I made for my children's YouTube channel and I don't want to lose them. Please advise. Thank you

MacBook Air (M2, 2022)

Posted on Jun 27, 2023 10:53 PM

Similar questions

6 replies

Jun 27, 2023 11:31 PM in response to KatKuwa1

Hello,

This is related to the iMovie 10 update. Previous versions are not compatible with it. From what I have read, a second library would be created and a copy of the media from the original library would be converted to the iMove 10 format and placed in the new library or an empty iMove 10 library would be created so you can manually update the media later.

Are you getting an error that you cannot continue from or are you canceling after you see that error?

Update projects from earlier versions of iMovie - Apple Support

"Update projects from earlier versions of iMovie

Projects and events created in earlier versions of iMovie must be updated to work with iMovie 10. You can update when you first open iMovie 10, or you can update later.

If you choose to update, projects and events are copied into a new library that works with iMovie 10.

If the update is interrupted or takes an extended period of time, see the Apple Support article Update iMovie projects and events on a Mac."

If available it might be easier to upgrade iMovie on your old MacBook Air. After, when you first open it, a dialogue will prompt you to update the media which would create a new library that will be easier to transfer to your new MacBook Air.

"If you have not updated the iMovie app  on your Mac recently, a dialog appears when you first open iMovie 10, asking if you want to update your existing projects and events.

• Click Update.
  • All projects and events on any storage devices attached to your Mac are updated. You can still use the original copies of your projects and events in earlier versions of iMovie.

Important: This update dialog appears automatically when you connect storage devices that contain projects and events from older versions of iMovie. iMovie 10 creates a new library on each storage device.

If you want to update your projects and events later, click Update Later. iMovie opens an empty library containing a single event. You can use the event to quickly import media from your storage device or a connected camera, and then create a project to start editing. When you’re ready to update, follow the instructions in “Manually update projects and events,” below."

I hope this helps.

Jan 13, 2024 1:03 PM in response to KatKuwa1

I just migrated from a 2019 MacBook Pro to M2 MacBook Air and had the same issue mentioned regarding iMovie. It won't open the old library at all, that was migrated with the Mac Migration Assistant (lame-o). I found this reddit thread with a workaround to perform on the new machine and I can confirm it works: "Had the same problem when migrating to a new IMac. I moved Imovie to the trash (don't delete until you are sure it worked!) and then reload Imovie from the App Store. Opened the new downloaded version, everything worked fine! (THEN I emptied the trash)". https://www.reddit.com/r/iMovie/comments/k0g7vh/cannot_access_imovie_library_that_is_stored_on/

Jun 28, 2023 1:58 AM in response to KatKuwa1

Have you already tried this option?

"Manually update projects and events

If you clicked Update Later, you can manually update projects and events so they’ll work with the latest version of iMovie. If you connected an external drive with older iMovie projects and events, but already updated your iMovie app, you can also manually update projects and events.

1. Open iMovie.
  2. Choose File > Update Projects and Events.
  3. Click Update in the dialog that appears."

I am wondering if the root of the issue is that you just have a .library file without the referenced media folders. Some versions of iMovie kept media in folders but referenced them through then library file. In that case you would need to copy or move those folders onto the external drive before preforming the above action.

Jun 28, 2023 1:00 AM in response to Scott-he-him

I am trying to take the library from my 2017 Air to my new 2022 Air. There isn't an option to update. It just gives me the error message with the only option of clicking "ok." That's it. I have no other options. When I try to chose a library, the library from my old computer is not an option. I have the library on an external hard drive because I don't have anymore room on my old Air. If I try to do anything on my old Air, I get an error that I don't have enough room to do anything. If I delete the library, then I cannot open it, even when using the hard drive. It's really confusing and I'm getting frustrated.

Can't Transfer iMovie From Old Mac To New Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.