You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I use an "APFS-formatted backup disk" to backup my old (2015) MacBook pro running OS 12.6? (it will NOT upgrade beyond this) My Backup Plus uses Mac OS Extended (Journaled) format--& in 12 hours, it has only completed 20%!!

Can I use an "APFS-formatted backup disk" to backup my old (2015) MacBook pro running OS 12.6? (it will NOT upgrade beyond this) My Backup Plus uses Mac OS Extended (Journaled) format--& in 12 HOURS, it has only completed 20% using Time Machine!!

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 12.6

Posted on Jun 24, 2023 6:48 PM

4 replies

Jun 24, 2023 9:48 PM in response to Barney-15E

I don't even know what "APFS" is; I searched for why my Time Machine is suddenly backing up SO SLOWLY (14 hrs now--& it's only 20.1% backed up!!). The article said I have to DELETE my entire back-up drive, & reformat it to this "APFS" thing. Of course, I CAN'T wipe out my back-up drive! I'll have to format another drive with this new format... What's going on? Why does my MacBook Pro (on Monterey 12.6.6) not want to back up any more?? (And 14 hrs to back up 20% is UNACCEPTABLE in ANY format!) Thank you for your reply.

Can I use an "APFS-formatted backup disk" to backup my old (2015) MacBook pro running OS 12.6? (it will NOT upgrade beyond this) My Backup Plus uses Mac OS Extended (Journaled) format--& in 12 hours, it has only completed 20%!!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.