You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Playback music while on call?

Hi everyone. I've wondered why it isn't possible to play music on a bluetooth speaker, while on call with the speakers of the iphone. I read discussion, where this was replied:

"Hi Acoreanna,

It seems you have a question on playing back music from your iPhone and we want to help.

It's not possible to play music when one of those speakers is playing the audio from your iPhone.

However, with smart speakers like HomePod mini the HomePod itself can play the music:

HomePod mini - Apple

You could consider a different speaker that can handle the processing of music streaming on the device itself and get the results you desire.

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities."

My question is how come this isn't possible?

iPhone 11 Pro

Posted on Jun 24, 2023 5:24 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 27, 2023 1:46 PM

I think it’s stupid that we can’t play music on our Bluetooth speakers (NOT the home pod or whatever it is!) while on a call on the phone itself 🙄 was able to do it with my Samsung galaxy j7 that I had before my iPhone 11 no issues! My game jamming music shouldn’t stop just because of a quick call 🤬

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 27, 2023 1:46 PM in response to Awisty

I think it’s stupid that we can’t play music on our Bluetooth speakers (NOT the home pod or whatever it is!) while on a call on the phone itself 🙄 was able to do it with my Samsung galaxy j7 that I had before my iPhone 11 no issues! My game jamming music shouldn’t stop just because of a quick call 🤬

Jun 26, 2023 2:39 AM in response to SravanKrA

Thank you for Your reply.

To specify i did mean a celluar call. The thing about HomePod mini is that’s a smart speaker, however my speaker is not a smartspeaker hence it can not play Music by itself. Så if i’m on a cellular call and connected to my Jbl Bluetooth speaker, then the music will not play while i’m connected to the call. I get that’s possible in theory but i don’t get why the iPhone won’t let me do it without a smart speaker.

Jun 24, 2023 5:34 AM in response to Awisty

if you have a Bluetooth device connected to your iPhone for audio, such as a HomePod, it can work while you are on a cellular voice call. Bluetooth audio devices are separate from the cellular voice call audio channel, so they can operate independently.

While you are on a cellular voice call on your iPhone, the call audio will be routed through the earpiece or speakerphone of the iPhone itself. However, you can still have other audio, such as music or media, playing through your connected Bluetooth device simultaneously.

For example, if you have a HomePod connected to your iPhone via Bluetooth, you can initiate or receive a cellular voice call on your iPhone while the HomePod continues to play music or other audio content. The voice call audio will come through the iPhone's earpiece or speakerphone, while the HomePod will play the audio from your chosen media source.

Jun 24, 2023 5:28 AM in response to Awisty

What Call? You need to specify that to get an answer.

On an iPhone, you can make and receive various types of calls. Here are the different types:

1. These are standard voice calls made over the cellular network. They utilize your carrier's voice network to connect you with other phone numbers.
  2. FaceTime Audio allows you to make voice calls over Wi-Fi or cellular data using your internet connection. It provides higher audio quality compared to traditional cellular calls.
  3. FaceTime Video enables you to have video calls with other FaceTime users. It uses the front or rear camera on your iPhone to transmit live video during the call.
  4. VoIP (Voice over Internet Protocol) calls use internet connectivity to make phone calls. Apps like Skype, WhatsApp, Viber, and Google Hangouts utilize this technology, allowing you to make voice and video calls over the Internet.
  5. Some carriers support Wi-Fi calling, which allows you to make and receive calls over a Wi-Fi network instead of relying solely on cellular coverage. This can be useful in areas with weak cellular reception.
  6. The App Store offers numerous calling apps that utilize different technologies. These apps can provide additional features and options for making calls, such as international calling, call recording, and more.

It's important to note that the availability of certain call types may depend on your iPhone model, iOS version, and carrier.

Playback music while on call?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.