You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

can I use an old wired keyboard on a new iMac 24

Is an older wired apple keyboard compatible on a new iMac 24? I can't get it to work.

iMac 24″, macOS 13.4

Posted on Jun 7, 2023 7:28 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 7, 2023 7:57 PM

Look closely at the USB connector on the keyboard. Some of those old Apple USB keyboards have a little ridge in the plug and came with an extension cable that has a corresponding notch. If you have one of those keyboards, then you need to use the supplied extension cable.

9 replies

Jun 8, 2023 4:54 AM in response to daicemanblue

Some ancient Mac keyboards sold between 1984 and 1999 used "phone cord" connectors or Apple Desktop Bus (ADB) connectors (which look like S-Video connectors, but are incompatible with them).

Those won't work with modern Macs – but the connectors are different enough from USB-A or USB-C ones that you're not likely to mistake them for USB keyboards.

can I use an old wired keyboard on a new iMac 24

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.