You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Blocking Scammer’s Phone Numbers. Good or Bad?

Hello guys,

I am still a little green with all this scam business. So lately, I’ve been getting multiple calls from the same “scam group.” I know this, because the voicemails they leave are always the exact same: Chinese talking and then music. Only the scammer’s phone number changes, and I have been blocking it each time.

Is this the right thing to do? I ask, because: What if the number is spoofed, and someday, a normal person gets the number, and needs to reach out to me, but can’t because I blocked a spoofed number? I know this is unlikely, but expect anything, they say. Or do I just not know how all this works?

Any advice and/or explanations is/are appreciated!

H1290 (iPhone 12, iOS 16.5)

Posted on May 20, 2023 7:00 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 20, 2023 7:16 PM

As you are aware, blocking the spam numbers will do no good if they are just spoofing the number. I understand your concern of blocking a legitimate number that was spoofed and as you say it is unlikely, but possible, someone else could try to call you with the legitimate number.

I would start by checking with your phone carrier to see if they have any spam call blocking service available that you can enable. There are other services out there that will block known spam calls. Most major cell companies have adopted the Stir/Shaken protocol that verifies numbers using caller ID before they are sent to your phone. This has forced scammers to use real phone numbers when they spoof the calls. Its a cat and mouse game, but hopefully technology will prevail.

6 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 20, 2023 7:16 PM in response to H1290

As you are aware, blocking the spam numbers will do no good if they are just spoofing the number. I understand your concern of blocking a legitimate number that was spoofed and as you say it is unlikely, but possible, someone else could try to call you with the legitimate number.

I would start by checking with your phone carrier to see if they have any spam call blocking service available that you can enable. There are other services out there that will block known spam calls. Most major cell companies have adopted the Stir/Shaken protocol that verifies numbers using caller ID before they are sent to your phone. This has forced scammers to use real phone numbers when they spoof the calls. Its a cat and mouse game, but hopefully technology will prevail.

Blocking Scammer’s Phone Numbers. Good or Bad?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.