You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Itunes Windows 12.6.3 latest with Appstore CANT SIGN IN and DOWNLOAD Error -50

Last few days Itunes for windows isnt working eny more , tried to reinstalled everything , sign in.. nothing

every time i get message - There was Temp problem completing your request - Please Try again later- 50 error.

I can download apps via Imazing instead but cant update old apps from libary as i cant sig in.

tried changing hard drive-s destination folder"s. nothing

Posted on May 14, 2023 1:25 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 14, 2023 1:53 PM

You're using an old version of iTunes with old security methods that can no longer interact correctly with the iTunes Store. Realistically you want to run the current version of iTunes on Windows 10 or 11. Management of apps through iTunes was dropped in iTunes 12.7. Apps can be updated directly on device.

tt2

10 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 14, 2023 1:53 PM in response to Zeljko83

You're using an old version of iTunes with old security methods that can no longer interact correctly with the iTunes Store. Realistically you want to run the current version of iTunes on Windows 10 or 11. Management of apps through iTunes was dropped in iTunes 12.7. Apps can be updated directly on device.

tt2

Dec 7, 2023 10:22 AM in response to surfdoc37

What version of iOS is on the iPad? Can it access the app store directly? I'm pretty sure there is no benefit in going back from 12.6.5 to 12.6.3, but even with 12.6.5 the oldest iOS devices may no longer be viable.

You might try iOS device not showing in iTunes for Windows - Apple Community. Sometimes Windows needs a little nudging to use the correct device driver.

tt2

Dec 6, 2023 3:41 PM in response to turingtest2

For the sake of argument, say you had a legacy device (maybe even two) that you weren't quite ready to discard and NEED a version of iTunes with the App Store to function? Just S.O.L.?

In theory 12.6.3 is supposed to still provide access. Although there's supposed to be a 12.6.5 for IT customers which might be more robust in terms of connection but I cannot find a download.

Dec 7, 2023 7:43 AM in response to turingtest2

Thanks. I think I found the list on one of your posts.

I am trying to hook up my day one, gen one iPad. Yes it is old!

I uninstalled current iTunes (working in Windows not iOS, could not even do that on my MacBook) and did a cleanup with CCleaner.

I found, I believe on a tt2 post, a download of 12.6.3.

That installed, and recognized the old iPad. However it would not “authorize” the computer or sign into the App Store. IIRC it was the -50 unspecified error.

So I deleted that version and reinstalled the current (Windows) version 12.10. With that I was able to both authorize the computer and sign in to the App Store.

Then I deleted THAT version (again) and reinstalled 12.6.5. And lo, I was able to access the App Store with iTunes and download a few apps!

But now, iTunes will no longer recognize the iPad! A Pyrrhic victory to say the least. I repeatedly get the same error, that some needed software element is not there and that I need to reinstall. Several attempts to repair, reinstall, reinstall a slightly earlier version (12.6.3 for instance) get me to the same place, ie I can access iTunes Store and App Store but it doesn’t matter because the device is not recognized.

Any tips?

Dec 7, 2023 12:31 PM in response to turingtest2

Thanks.

Old iPad runs 5.1.1. Have an old 4S iPhone using 9.x that I’ll also try. As well as my relatively new mini using 17.x.

Appreciate the link and will poke around in the device manager a bit at some point. But point of diminishing returns on my time might be approaching! Really this whole thing started because Chrome hung so I deleted it with plan to restore but couldn’t do that.

I did notice that windows iTunes 12.10.x and 12.6.x both seemed to install the same version of AppleMobileDeviceSupport (everything is put away elsewhere, v14 something IIRC).

It sort of seems like I am doomed to either connect the iPad to iTunes 12.6.5, or connect iTunes to the App Store, but not both.

Dec 8, 2023 4:35 PM in response to turingtest2

Excellent! LOL.

And as prove that either I am an utter klutz or that computers are funny sometimes, the iOS 17.x mini was successfully recognized by windows 12.6.5. Even tried to back up but that was taking a long time and not something I wanted, so I stopped it.

After that, the iPhone with 9.x was recognized, and finally the ancient iPad with 5.x is recognized. Now seeing if it will back up (yes) and perhaps update or install an app or two (no). I think this is the end of the quest. Hopefully the OP may benefit from my experience.

Itunes Windows 12.6.3 latest with Appstore CANT SIGN IN and DOWNLOAD Error -50

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.