You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

📢 Newsroom Update

The new iPad mini is available today. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how do i restart ipad without home button

so i don't have one of those ipads but instead i have one where my home button is broken but still functional, is there any way to even restart it?

Posted on May 12, 2023 11:44 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 12, 2023 12:13 PM

It is a common misconception that an iPad (or iPhone) can remain fully functional with damaged or defective physical buttons. 

Whilst Accessibility features (such as assistive touch) can be used to augment the User Interface, these features cannot be used as a substitute for physical button sequences that must be used to trigger system recovery actions. Sooner or later, as now, you will encounter a situation from which you cannot recover.

If the iPad has shut-down (i.e., has fully powered off), connecting the iPad to it Power Adapter will cause the iPad to restart.

Until repaired, you will not be able to resolve a locked-out (disabled) iPad - or reset a forgotten device passcode. To arrange repair, you may consider arranging repair through the Genius Bar at your local Apple Store or Apple Authorised Service Provider (AASP):

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

Alternatively, you can use Apple’s mail-in repair service:

iPad Repair & Service

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 12, 2023 12:13 PM in response to ahdoa

It is a common misconception that an iPad (or iPhone) can remain fully functional with damaged or defective physical buttons. 

Whilst Accessibility features (such as assistive touch) can be used to augment the User Interface, these features cannot be used as a substitute for physical button sequences that must be used to trigger system recovery actions. Sooner or later, as now, you will encounter a situation from which you cannot recover.

If the iPad has shut-down (i.e., has fully powered off), connecting the iPad to it Power Adapter will cause the iPad to restart.

Until repaired, you will not be able to resolve a locked-out (disabled) iPad - or reset a forgotten device passcode. To arrange repair, you may consider arranging repair through the Genius Bar at your local Apple Store or Apple Authorised Service Provider (AASP):

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

Alternatively, you can use Apple’s mail-in repair service:

iPad Repair & Service

how do i restart ipad without home button

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.