You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My macbook air mid 2013 doesen't see my new internal ssd

I've recently got a new crucial p3 nvme sdd with an adapter to Mac, but when i plug it in it doesn't show up in the disk utility, and even diskutil doesn't detect it, I've tried to update the drivers and the firmware of the ssd with my windows pc but it doesn't work, the strange thing is that if i plug in the ssd of the pc it works so it isn't an adapter problem

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 11.7

Posted on May 4, 2023 9:13 AM

14 replies

Jun 25, 2024 7:03 PM in response to SilhouetteAll3n

SilhouetteAll3n wrote:

I know this post is a bit dated, but I'm facing a similar issue - is the issue that a specific NVMe M.2 SSD by Crucial didn't work, that it only works with a fresh install, or was there something else to the resolution? I have a Crucial T500 Pro that my MacBook Pro recognizes when I use an USB adapter, but not when I install it using an adapter. I used the adapter on a Samsung 980 Pro that I also have, and it worked (but I can't use that drive because of the heatsink)... Is there a specific issue with some Crucial SSDs or firmware that should be updated somewhere, or is there something else I'm missing?

I'm currently working with a 2015 MacBook Pro, with the latest version of macOS Monterey.

The most likely cause is that the SSD Adapter being used is not compatible. From reading this forum for years, the only SSD adapter which seems to be the most compatible & reliable is from Sintech.

There is also a possibility that the SSD is not compatible....not all SSDs are compatible with all computers.

This also assumes the Logic Board is healthy and not the problem.

Jun 25, 2024 9:20 AM in response to Enrico03

I know this post is a bit dated, but I'm facing a similar issue - is the issue that a specific NVMe M.2 SSD by Crucial didn't work, that it only works with a fresh install, or was there something else to the resolution? I have a Crucial T500 Pro that my MacBook Pro recognizes when I use an USB adapter, but not when I install it using an adapter. I used the adapter on a Samsung 980 Pro that I also have, and it worked (but I can't use that drive because of the heatsink)... Is there a specific issue with some Crucial SSDs or firmware that should be updated somewhere, or is there something else I'm missing?

I'm currently working with a 2015 MacBook Pro, with the latest version of macOS Monterey.

My macbook air mid 2013 doesen't see my new internal ssd

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.