You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

📢 Newsroom Update

The new iPad mini is available today. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2nd generation ipad pro performance

After updating my iPad with ios 16.4 the overall performance has declined severly. All apps go to a black screen before opening or the app crashes and closes. This happens with all apps and once in an App poor performance continues and there is a noticeable lag between tasks starting and finishing. I currently have 27gb memory out of 256gb. Performance declined with the jump to 16.0 but after cleaning up my files performance improved considering the age of my iPad. This latest update has battered my performance.

iPad, iOS 10

Posted on Apr 4, 2023 8:57 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 4, 2023 9:32 AM

Older models of iPad, including early generations of iPad Pro, lack the CPU/GPU and system resources (RAM) of newer models of iPad - and cannot be reasonably expected to provide the same levels of performance as may be found with much newer devices.

As with all operating systems, each major iteration of the OS will inevitably make greater demands of the host system hardware - and overall system performance may be negatively impacted. Your second generation iPad Pro, released in 2017, is already a five year old platform - with an A10X CPU and only 4GB RAM. More recent models of iPad have considerably more powerful and capable CPU - and benefit from significantly more system resources. By example, current models of iPad Pro have either 8GB or 16GB RAM.

Given your description of general system instability, your first step would be to perform a forced-restart of your iPad - as this will often clear an isolated or latent software issue associated with a recent system software update:

Force restart iPad (models with Face ID or with Touch ID in the top button)

If your iPad doesn’t have the Home button, do the following:

1. Press and quickly release the volume button nearest to the top button.
  2. Press and quickly release the volume button farthest from the top button.
  3. Press and hold the top button.
  4. When the Apple logo appears, release the top button.

Force restart iPad (models with the Home button)

Press and hold the top button and the Home button at the same time. When the Apple logo appears, release both buttons.

If problems persist, you might be well advised to ensure that you have a current iCloud or iTunes backup - and then perform a full reset of the iPad. After reset, you should set-up again from scratch. After performing initial setup, you can then restore your data and settings from your backup.

To reset your iPad:

Settings > General > Transfer or Reset iPad > Erase All Content and Settings

This support page outlines restoring your iPad from your backup:

Restore all content to iPad from a backup - Apple Support

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Apr 4, 2023 9:32 AM in response to FZAW

Older models of iPad, including early generations of iPad Pro, lack the CPU/GPU and system resources (RAM) of newer models of iPad - and cannot be reasonably expected to provide the same levels of performance as may be found with much newer devices.

As with all operating systems, each major iteration of the OS will inevitably make greater demands of the host system hardware - and overall system performance may be negatively impacted. Your second generation iPad Pro, released in 2017, is already a five year old platform - with an A10X CPU and only 4GB RAM. More recent models of iPad have considerably more powerful and capable CPU - and benefit from significantly more system resources. By example, current models of iPad Pro have either 8GB or 16GB RAM.

Given your description of general system instability, your first step would be to perform a forced-restart of your iPad - as this will often clear an isolated or latent software issue associated with a recent system software update:

Force restart iPad (models with Face ID or with Touch ID in the top button)

If your iPad doesn’t have the Home button, do the following:

1. Press and quickly release the volume button nearest to the top button.
  2. Press and quickly release the volume button farthest from the top button.
  3. Press and hold the top button.
  4. When the Apple logo appears, release the top button.

Force restart iPad (models with the Home button)

Press and hold the top button and the Home button at the same time. When the Apple logo appears, release both buttons.

If problems persist, you might be well advised to ensure that you have a current iCloud or iTunes backup - and then perform a full reset of the iPad. After reset, you should set-up again from scratch. After performing initial setup, you can then restore your data and settings from your backup.

To reset your iPad:

Settings > General > Transfer or Reset iPad > Erase All Content and Settings

This support page outlines restoring your iPad from your backup:

Restore all content to iPad from a backup - Apple Support

Apr 27, 2023 12:09 PM in response to LotusPilot

Dearest LotusPilot,

So do you think it is worth it to install the new 16x update on my “old” iPad Pro 11” (2nd generation) if I’m perfectly pleased with the older iPadOS on it?

I am perfectly pleased with its performance so far and I’m skeptical it won’t provide the same levels of performance as you wrote.

I have no problem at all and I’m using it mostly with photos and editing for social media.

Thank you in advance, Lisa

Apr 27, 2023 1:08 PM in response to LotusPilot

Hey LotusPilot,

The first forced closed did little to improve the situation, I did that prior to my query, but after your reply I tried your home key method again and when it came back up I tried the reset, not full but network settings only with power chords unplugged before I went bed. The next morning there was s noticeable improvement in my emails and since then with many apps posting updates everything is working much better. Thank you for your help.

one additional problem that has come up on all my apple devices (Appletv, iPad Pro 2nd gen and SE iPhone) is their inability to hold on to an internet connection. As soon as I run a speed test the connection is established with the device. All devices have the latest iOS updates.

cheers.

Apr 27, 2023 4:00 PM in response to Lizzie M

Lizzie M wrote:

Dearest LotusPilot,

So do you think it is worth it to install the new 16x update on my “old” iPad Pro 11” (2nd generation) if I’m perfectly pleased with the older iPadOS on it?

You should keep your iPad updated to the most recent version of iPadOS.

System Software Updates include functional updates and fixes - but also include essential security updates that protect your device and personal data from compromise by malware or other threats.

2nd generation ipad pro performance

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.