You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to see CPU temperature in terminal (Mac mini 2020)

I would like a terminal command that shows me the CPU and GPU temperature.

Mac mini, macOS 13.2

Posted on Mar 30, 2023 12:31 AM

12 replies

Mar 30, 2023 5:16 AM in response to Fedora Core

First, I'd like to thank you for your attempts to answer question so far, but I'm writing this message for another reason.

For some reason my mistake, this topic was posted in the macOS Monterey category, however I already upgraded to Ventura a long time ago, so I ask the responsible moderators to move this topic to the right area.

I just didn't put it in the Mac mini category, because I believe a lot of people who have a computer with an Apple-designed SoC have the same problem.

Mar 30, 2023 5:04 AM in response to PRP_53

Well, I installed Stats, but it didn't solve my problem, because there are so many temperature sensors and I don't even know where the documentation for using this is, it's impossible to identify which ones are for the CPU and which are for the GPU, or motherboard components.

Will I have to study hardware engineering to understand what this means?

Note: Yes, I already tried it with the "Show unknow sensors" option disabled, but the CPU and GPU sensors is not shown with that disabled.

Mar 30, 2023 5:05 AM in response to Fedora Core

To be honest, I do not know the answer to your question " Will I have to study hardware engineering to understand what this means? "

I do know of several excellent Contributors who specialize in Apple Hardware

If lucky, 1 or 2 may just pickup your question and offer some Insights from your Image above

My Guess TCMz is the CPU Temperature, Airport would the the Wifi component of the computer, Disk 1 (B) - the internal Drive Temperature the rest, Do Not Know

Mar 30, 2023 5:59 AM in response to dialabrain

This software even worked, but I don't like this solution because it's a EULA-protected software, which is something I intend to gradually eliminate from my life. (Including, in the future I will remove macOS when the cute people who develop Asahi Linux have a nice power management and GPU driver with good Vulkan support)

Besides, I still want to find out where the documentation for those "unknown sensors" is , because despite the problems I always prioritize free software for philosophical reasons.

Anyway, thank you, because this will still help a lot of people.

Mar 30, 2023 7:27 AM in response to Fedora Core

Fedora Core wrote:

This software even worked, but I don't like this solution because it's a EULA-protected software, which is something I intend to gradually eliminate from my life. (Including, in the future I will remove macOS when the cute people who develop Asahi Linux have a nice power management and GPU driver with good Vulkan support)

Besides, I still want to find out where the documentation for those "unknown sensors" is , because despite the problems I always prioritize free software for philosophical reasons.

None of this information is documented. Apple simply doesn't document anything at that level. There is documentation for end users and documentation for app developers. But anything that doesn't fall into those very narrow parameters is unknown and should never be relied on. For example, there is a whole class of "IT" information that Apple provides to enterprise customers via back channels. Those people think it is gospel because it came from Apple. But it regularly breaks after a couple of updates. But the turnover is so high in that industry so nobody ever figures that out. And even the official documentation is often unreliable and is regularly incorrect. I've had Apple engineers tell me things that I've been able to categorically disprove.

I have found some reverse-engineered information about temperature sensors from this project: https://github.com/acidanthera/VirtualSMC

Futhermore, getting this information in real-time is tricky. If you don't want real-time information, you can run the "systemstats" tool to query system analytics data. This does include some temperature information.

Regarding that documentation, Apple isn't any different than any other vendor. Apple just has a very different footprint in the market and a different customer relationship. Maybe you should honestly ask yourself why you aren't already running some free operating system. I'm sure there is a good reason. Maybe you simply find yourself more productive and enjoy a better experience. That isn't going to change. Linux isn't ever going to catch up, no matter how many more decades you wait.

Also, it sounds like you've been misinformed on the philosophical side. All software is governed by EULA. I know what you mean, but you brought it up, and it is an important detail. All software is copied, and is governed by copyright law. Even public domain software has to be declared as such, with the EULA being said public domain declaration. True "free software" actually has one of the most strict types of EULA. That's fundamentally what makes it work. Yes. I know what you mean. But even there, you've been misinformed. The "free software" that so many people contribute to out of a desire to protect their freedoms, is a massive subsidy provided by the working class to major corporations. Most of those corporations (with Apple being one of the notable exceptions) never redistribute the software they are given for free. Instead, they modify it, keep their changes, and use their resources to provide services for a fee, eliminate the market for competition, surveil their their users, and sell/share their personal information.

Some things simply aren't practical on a Mac. In those cases, Linux is the only option. But even on Linux, when people want to be productive and have a great experience, they go to AWS.

Mar 30, 2023 9:41 AM in response to etresoft

I even have several things to discuss about this, but I won't discuss too much because it's not my point to get into a discussion.

Regarding the systemstats tool, I see that it seems to be quite useful, all that remains is to find out how to enable the HID services through the terminal, as I saw in the Github of the "Stats" program that it is disabled by default to reduce energy consumption.

(makes sense, maybe efficient hardware like this doesn't really need to be monitoring temperature)

Mar 30, 2023 10:30 AM in response to Fedora Core

Fedora Core wrote:

efficient hardware like this doesn't really need to be monitoring temperature

Exactly. To tell the truth, no Apple device needs the user to monitor its temperature. The operating system already does that by itself. The user would sometimes hear the fans ramp up on older Intel devices, but even then, the fans were just doing their job. Unexpected fan noise is never anything that needs monitoring. It may be a symptom of heavy CPU use, heavy GPU use, or some hardware fault. But before Apple Silicon, the fan noise itself was a good indicator of lower-level problems. If anything, Apple Silicon is a regression. Because it is so much efficient, if there is a problem, the user often won't realize it until they either look at CPU usage for some reason, or notice unusual loss of battery life.

How to see CPU temperature in terminal (Mac mini 2020)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.