You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Password rejected when trying to restore iPhone backup

Backed up my old iPhone XS max to iTunes/imac. I bought a new iPhone 14 Pro and traded in the old one. When I tried to restore my back up to my new iPhone iTunes/imac asked me for a password. My iMac's iTunes rejected my password. What can i do, so that I don't lose 90 gig of backed up files and apps etc from my old phone's backup?

iPhone 14 Pro

Posted on Mar 23, 2023 4:26 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 23, 2023 5:02 AM

If you have forgotten the encrypted backup passcode, and you can't create a new backup from your old device, you can't access the backup data anymore.

To turn off backup encryption, uncheck the "Encrypt local backup" checkbox in the Finder or iTunes and enter the password. If you can't remember your password, you have two options:

copied from: About encrypted backups on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Did you check, if your passcode is saved in your iCloud Keychain?

How to find saved passwords and passkeys on your iPhone - Apple Support

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Mar 23, 2023 5:02 AM in response to jhhjhjhjhjhjhjhjhjhjhj

If you have forgotten the encrypted backup passcode, and you can't create a new backup from your old device, you can't access the backup data anymore.

To turn off backup encryption, uncheck the "Encrypt local backup" checkbox in the Finder or iTunes and enter the password. If you can't remember your password, you have two options:

copied from: About encrypted backups on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Did you check, if your passcode is saved in your iCloud Keychain?

How to find saved passwords and passkeys on your iPhone - Apple Support

Password rejected when trying to restore iPhone backup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.