You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Watch SE water lock

Do I need to put water lock mode on before showering with my Apple Watch SE?

Apple Watch SE, watchOS 8

Posted on Mar 19, 2023 12:09 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 19, 2023 12:12 PM

AdriftGlitter4 wrote:

Do I need to put water lock mode on before showering with my Apple Watch SE?

No. It’s automatic.

Related details: About Apple Watch water resistance - Apple Support

3 replies

Mar 19, 2023 2:46 PM in response to AdriftGlitter4

AdriftGlitter4 wrote:

So I am able to shower with my watch on and no water lock?

Water Lock does not add additional protection against water intrusion.

Water Lock does disable touch controls, as those do not work reliably when wet.

When (eventually disabled) Water Lock also expels water from the (otherwise sealed) cavity containing the speakers.

Those Apple Watch series with water resistance are already resistant. Water Lock does not change that.

Should the seals against water intrusion fail and as can happen over time and for various reasons including physical damage—Apple Watch is water resistant, but is not waterproof—then Apple Watch can be damaged by water. Irrespective of the Water Lock setting.

TL;DR: If Apple Watch detects immersion, then it will automatically enable Water Lock. Water Lock does not change water resistance. Water resistance is not a permanent feature, and can degrade and can fail.

Apple Watch SE water lock

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.