You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Having issues changing my SIM PIN with only three tries. I own MY IPHONE XR outrigh. My bill is paid for the mont of service. The Sim Card is paid for... Why cant I change my PIN?

I need to find out my SIM PIN on my Iphone XR with two different model numbers on the phone MODEL NUMBER MH5G3LL/A and A1984. I own this phone outright. I paid full price for it. I should be allowed to change my SIM PIN when or to whatever I want to.

iPhone XR

Posted on Feb 28, 2023 1:14 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 28, 2023 1:36 PM

This often causes confusion.

All carriers of which I’m aware configure their SIMs w/ a default PIN.

The PIN usually isn’t “active” and actually locking the SIM, but it’s still “in there.”

In order to change the PIN, you must first know the PIN the carrier installed.

Once you’ve successfully entered the carrier’s PIN, you can THEN change it to something unique to you. (Most carriers allow up to 8-digits)

Carrier’s default PINs can often be found w/ an internet search, but as you already know, you don’t get many failed attempts.

So … CONTACT YOUR CARRIER if in any doubt.

More detail - including PUKs used to restore a SIM after too many failed PIN attempts - is available here:

Use a SIM PIN for your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Feb 28, 2023 1:36 PM in response to SIMPINHELPERS

This often causes confusion.

All carriers of which I’m aware configure their SIMs w/ a default PIN.

The PIN usually isn’t “active” and actually locking the SIM, but it’s still “in there.”

In order to change the PIN, you must first know the PIN the carrier installed.

Once you’ve successfully entered the carrier’s PIN, you can THEN change it to something unique to you. (Most carriers allow up to 8-digits)

Carrier’s default PINs can often be found w/ an internet search, but as you already know, you don’t get many failed attempts.

So … CONTACT YOUR CARRIER if in any doubt.

More detail - including PUKs used to restore a SIM after too many failed PIN attempts - is available here:

Use a SIM PIN for your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

Having issues changing my SIM PIN with only three tries. I own MY IPHONE XR outrigh. My bill is paid for the mont of service. The Sim Card is paid for... Why cant I change my PIN?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.