You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Unable to add contacts to lists on iCloud on Mac

Sometimes I can't move a Contact to a List (group of Contacts) on my iMac. I've checked and the Contact isn't already in the List. Both the Contact and the List are in iCloud. Can anyone tell me what could prevent a Contact from being added to a List?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iMac 27″, macOS 13.2

Posted on Feb 26, 2023 6:36 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 19, 2023 8:49 AM

Hi,

I had the same problem today. I could add a contact to a list using the iCloud website and on my iPhone but couldn't on my Mac. Nor could I delete any of my contacts using the Contacts app on my Mac.

What finally worked for me was by going into the Contacts>Settings>Accounts>iCloud. I unchecked Enable this account then rechecked it.

When I unchecked Enable this account all my contacts disappeared and when I rechecked them, they all got downloaded again. After that I could add contacts to a list and delete old contacts.

Hope this helps.

Similar questions

29 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Apr 19, 2023 8:49 AM in response to croshaven

Hi,

I had the same problem today. I could add a contact to a list using the iCloud website and on my iPhone but couldn't on my Mac. Nor could I delete any of my contacts using the Contacts app on my Mac.

What finally worked for me was by going into the Contacts>Settings>Accounts>iCloud. I unchecked Enable this account then rechecked it.

When I unchecked Enable this account all my contacts disappeared and when I rechecked them, they all got downloaded again. After that I could add contacts to a list and delete old contacts.

Hope this helps.

Oct 2, 2024 4:19 AM in response to Francesco Rocca

This was just the tip of the iceberg for me. Glitchiness returned almost immediately, whack-a-mole style.

I found this exhaustive solution on Reddit.

To cut a long story short:

1. Stop syncing on every device!
  2. Delete all contacts on every device.
  3. Use iCloud (which turns out to be the master, even if you've never used it before) to tidy up any left over junk, like duplicates and empty lists.
  4. Re-sync every device.

But read the original for all the details - it's wonderfully explicit and evangelical in the joy that the outcome brings!

Feb 28, 2023 3:47 PM in response to croshaven

Hello croshaven,

Thank you for reaching out to Apple Support Communities, and we'll be happy to help in any way we can. We understand you're having issues with adding a contact to a list on your Mac. Try the steps here to see if they resolve the issue: Create and change lists in Contacts on Mac - Apple Support

"Add contacts to a list

1. In the Contacts app  on your Mac, select one or more contacts listed in the sidebar.
  2. There’s no limit to the number of contacts you can add to a list. If you use more than one account in Contacts, make sure the contacts you select are in the same account.
  3. Drag the selected contacts to a list in the sidebar.
  4. If the contacts aren’t added to the list, check if it’s a Smart List—you can’t add contacts to a Smart List.

If you use an Exchange account in Contacts, those contacts can belong to only one folder at a time. Any contacts that aren’t in a folder you create are in the default Exchange Contacts folder."

We hope this helps.

Cheers!

Sep 8, 2023 12:04 PM in response to croshaven

I have discovered if I do two or more operations like adding a card or two, I am unable to add them to a list or edit a list. But if I shut the application down and wait a few minutes and reopen the application, I can then edit lists or add to them. It seems the application can tolerate one or two operations on lists until it cannot anymore. Than I have to shut it down again and restart it after a few minutes. Is this an issue with iCloud? It is annoying.

Unable to add contacts to lists on iCloud on Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.